Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:12 PM   #371

Hi Idle,

Since you are the official Guru of the Epson problems perhaps you can help me solve the problem of not getting any YELLOW when doing the Nozzle Check?

I have tried doing the Clean Head routine for umpteen times, but no joy! I am not using CIS, and yes the Ink carts are all good including the Yellow, I have replaced it twice.

BTW.. I own a 200 and a 320 printers, both have the Mod done to them since I had the Service light come on on both. The 200 has been sitting for a while without Ink Carts because I had no idea I could do the mod. I ended up buying the 320 and only ran accross this site showing how to do the mod when it also quit workin.

Both printers are working fine now, except for the NO YELLOW problem on the 200! Any idea on how I can get that color to work again?

Pete
Icanbreakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:55 PM   #372

Quote:
The 200 has been sitting for a while without Ink Carts
This is very likely to be the reason.

Inkjets should NEVER (shout intentional...) be left for more than a few minutes without a cart (even an empty one) installed.

If the ink dries inside the head and its supply tube (often doesn't take long) you'll have all manner of trouble dislodging it.

First thing to try is (if you haven't already) an ammonia-based glass cleaner such as blue Windex applied to the parking pad (just a few drops, don't flood it, and leave at least overnight before doing a head clean and nozzle check.)

If you get a result from that, even if not a perfect check, you're on the right track — persevere with it until the check is 100%.

If no result, try injecting some of the same into the offending head's supply spike — again leave at least overnight before repeating the clean and nozzle check.

Use a hypodermic (without needle, of course) to push the solvent into the head — be careful not to apply too much pressure as the (ceramic) heads are quite fragile.

It also helps sometimes to physically clean the underside of the print heads, using a strip of lint-free cloth wet with Windex and laid under the head path.

Move the carriage over the cloth, pick up the ends and pull to and fro — this won't remove clogs from inside the nozzles, of course, but may well disturb them enough that solvent can get around and dissolve them.

To move the carriage by hand, lift the lock (a small plastic latch, usually white, located to the left of the carriage, between the drive belt and the guide bar.)

If all that fails, there are proprietary cleaners on the market that may do a better job — I can't really say, for I've never had to try one.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:27 PM   #373

Thanks, Idle!

I suspected that may have beeen the problem, that's why I mentioned the printer sitting without carts! I will give it a try,getting the head/ink flow resolved,using your suggestion, if it works I will let you know. If not......oh well... I thought the thing was a gonner anyway, but just couldn't part with it. After learning about and doing the mod, resetting the counter I was really on a high thinking I got it beat, but I guess it's not over yet!

Like I said, I'll give your suggestions a try and if anything works, I'll be sure to let you know. I should've known that the ink supply route would get dry and clogged, if it was left open!

Thanks for a quick response,

Pete

Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:11 PM   #374

Ok....... Success!

I did as you recomended, but was not getting anywhere with the Windex solution, so I comandeered some of my wife's Parsons Ammonia (Hosehold cleaner) and continued cleaning with it. Still no joy..until I finally decided to use a piece of fish tank tubing (about 1/8") it fit perfectly over the syringe and the the head ink supply spike creating a good seal, I then proceede to inject a little bit of the ammonia through it, cleaned it up and did a nozzle check. Success I saw a little bit of yellow!

A couplemore cleaning cycles, and it is now printing a perfect head check pattern with all six colors!

Thank you, Idle!

Pete

PS. The moral of this story is:

NEVER LEAVE THE INK CARTRIDGES OUT!

for any extended period or get ready to waste a lot of time and ink to hopefully revive your Epson printer!

Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:06 PM   #375

Good!

Now you can not merely break it — you can fix it!

Make sure you use the printer now and then, so it doesn't clog again.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:32 PM   #376

"never leave ink tanks out of printer"

How very true haha i know from first hand experience! I just bought a demo unit R310 and it had dried up ink inside. i spent one whole night using CD lens cleaner alcohol unclogging the jets. now all colors print but some nozzles are still stuck with the cyan and light cyan.

wasted one whole set of cartridges just cleaning the head and priming etc. i left the alcohol on the "candles" as well as the ink pad at the bottom for about an hour each time, then reinstalled the cartridges to test for progress. This I think, is the reason why my carts emptied out in no time as each reinstall automatically set the printer cleaning the heads. anyway your case is now settled, hopefully mine will too soon!
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:22 AM   #377

Alcohol isn't all that effective for bad clogs — you need something with ammonia in it to really clean the nozzles out.

You'll probably also find the cartridges that 'ran out' doing head cleans will still have lots of ink in them — if the ink's not being drawn through, then it can't go anywhere.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:55 AM   #378

idle, the only thing i have with NH3 here is some toilet cleaner which contains NH4Cl. I am not going to use that! yikes! but the alcohol doesn't seem too good for the stubborn stuff, now everything prints except three or four really stubborn clogs in thelight C and C nozzles.
i am now using a window cleaner (not windex, that isn't sold here) and it seems to have unclog another nozzle. but the printer now won't use the cartridges i used before as even though they still feel heavy with ink the chips won't let the printer use them as they are reported as empty (5% in ssc).

my CISS is arriving tomorrow so hopefully that will work out with this printer. for now I am leaving few drops of the window cleaner on the LC and C "candles"

as for the waste ink solution, i've put in a little bottle at the back to catch the ink. the sponge inside the bottom of the printer is still very new and clean though. but i figured I might as well.

i did an ink head clean and was shocked to see the amount of ink that's purged out. if that's how it is for a normal clean i wonder how much ink is used for a deep clean! and to think the printer des this everytime a new tank is put in, all the other tanks go down as well. epson should sell cheaper inks, a set of expensive original inks are exhausted way too quickly. CISS all the way!

BTW, how do you guys create such a clean hole on the little cover for the tube to pass thru? at the moment i am simply covering the hole with a piece of paper as my printer is still under warranty so i don't want to mess up the cover.

Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:57 AM   #379

No, I wouldn't put that stuff in a printer either — probably clog it forever.

There's a possibility that the remaining clogs might perhaps project a bit from the nozzles — try physically cleaning under the heads with strips of lint-free cloth as I've described in other posts.

Wet them with window cleaner, lay them along the print path, move the carriage over, pick up the ends and pull to and fro.

If the dried ink projects a little, this should break it and often loosens the internal clog enough that the ammonia can break it down.

The alternative is to inject cleaner into the feed spikes under some pressure (not too much — those assemblies aren't as strong as they look...) and leave it at least overnight before running yet another clean cycle.

As to the hole to accommodate the tube, where there is a hatch as in the R310 I do it by attacking the appropriate spot on the hatch cover with a round (rat-tail) file.

Where there isn't a convenient outlet one has to work out precisely where the tube is to be routed and drill through the case.

Whilst yours is under warranty a bit of plastic and some sticky tape will suffice, of course.

As to the carts with still lots of ink in them, the choice is between dumping (total loss), draining carefully and putting the recovered ink in the CIS (messy) or getting your hands on a chip resetter so you can use them up.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:07 AM   #380

should i leave the "empty" ink carts over the spikes (where I've applied window cleaner)? that's what i am doing now as I don't want it to dry out overnight. I also applied a bit of the cleaner to the pads, hopefully overnight this should clear things up.

BTW one thing where I find no mention about is that the R310 requires user to press the power button for at least 2 seconds before it will turn on or off. is this normal? i suppose it's to prevent accidentally turning it on or off. but i find no mention at all and when i first got it i thought i had a dead printer which wouldn't turn on.