Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:32 PM   #391

From the manual:

Power LED off -- Paper LED fast blink -- Ink LED fast blink = fatal error

This error is detected when:

1: Carriage unit cannot move correctly by the external force in each direction
or
2: "PF Motor" cannot operate correctly while "PF Motor" operates.

-------------------------------------------------------

My translation:
1: Something is obstructing the carriage movement or the carriage motor is overloaded (can be lack of lube on the guide rail, bearing problem, damaged motor, jammed gear, power problem — whatever...)

2: Paper feed mechanism fault, timing error, power problem — whatever...

Really, all the signal means is that something unspecified, but probably mechanical, is stopping the printer from working.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:27 PM   #392

Hi,

I have an R210 and had the alternate lights flashing.

After taking the tube out of the back into a small bottle and reseting the protection with SCC. The lights stopped and it seemed all was right.

When it is turned on, it whirls and the carriage goes goes the other end a few times and then when back in its place it drops and whirls again then goes to start the printing when just as it leave it's home, the ink pad thing under the carriage drops and goes to the left and gives a clunk sound. The carriage doesn't movem anymore. . The red lights then start flashing again. It is not stuck and I can easlity move it with my hands without any pressure at all and there is not obstruction or anyhting that seems to jump up. I feel it is that pad thing that moves, but not sure why.

What could be causing this? Where is that thing supposed to be at the start, up to the right or to the left. The should that white arm be up or down at the start. I think it may be the white arm that is getting caught.

Lastly whilst I took the little white sponge out of the back and then the tube is now out, I didn't take any other pads out. Should have I?

EDITED: Since the above, it tol;d meI needed , 2 new cartridges (cyan,light cyan) so I put new ones in, but it is spewing out so much black and only black. It said 20% black left and now after a 5th of a cup, it now says 5% left.

Thanks

rock
ozstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:23 PM   #393

If you look carefully at the "pad thing" (parking pad?) with the carriage moved away from it you'll see that it can move to the right about an inch, and as it does so it rises along a curved guide.

This is what seals it to the heads in the parked position — as the carriage moves to the end of its travel it contacts two vertical bars that move the pads against a tension spring that pulls it to the left and down when the carriage moves to the left again.

If that spring is disconnected or breaks it might cause the carriage to jam and not reach the parked position (there might also be something else either broken or out of place around the parking pad.)

You would then get an error message of some sort (probably rapid flash in unison — "fatal error") and the printer would stop.

Since I can't see down the wire, you'll have to carefully inspect that area for damage or obstruction.

That it pulls ink through in a cleaning cycle suggests it's parking correctly, though — if it doesn't seal all the thing will pump is air (check that the return spring is pulling the pad assembly fully to the left when the carriage is off the "home" position, and that the carriage is moving all the way to the right when it parks.)

There is nothing other than the hatch cover and the white foam block to remove when fitting the external waste container, and both can be put back again.

The waste pads have no function other than to absorb ink, and nothing whatsoever is connected to them. Nothing you did there will have caused your problem.

20% of the black cartridge means it has about 2[sup]cc[/sup] of usable ink left — if you got half a cup it has to have come from all carts (half a teacup would be about the total useable contents (around 70[sup]cc[/sup]) of all six carts...) and the waste ink is always black (I'm told it works fine in most fountain pens, BTW.)

Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:23 PM   #394

Hi,

Many thanks for your time and advice. It is very gracious of you to do this.

I turned it off for about 30 mins and I am not sure whether it is in my mind or not, but it did seem to work better. After fidling arounda bit and haviung to turn it on and off a few times, , it stopped clunking and now it is fine, just as it was when new.

I mainly do CD labels with it and it is very good, having done maybe 5000 over the time I have had it.

There is just one time comsuming thing, although a very small price to pay for it doing what it does.

For it to grab the tray every time, I push it under the rollers about an inch and when I click print it does its thing. If i line the arrows up many times it does not grab the tray, so over time I have learned the trick which works every time.

When it is finished, if I am able to take the tray out within a few seconds of the finish, then I am able to load another CD, click print again and it goes off again.

If I am not there when it finishes, the middle paper lights flashes and I have to take the tray out, put it back in, press the light and the carriage goes up and down then, it prints again. It is like a 1 - 2 minute time frame of doing this every time I am not there for the print end and tray out time.

Do you know if this is normal or is there something I am not doing correctly?

Thanks for the help thus far.

Ozstar
ozstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:34 PM   #395

Yes, a problem like that will often disappear when the power is removed for a while — I forgot to mention it as I usually do.

It's a firmware malfunction and will stay in memory so long as the printer has power, so turning off at the wall until the memory clears usually fixes it.

Your description of the problem must have side-tracked me into looking for a mechanical fault.

The CD tray feed fault is endemic — nearly all of them (my own R310 included) do it after a few prints.

It's caused by the pickup/delivery rollers not having enough friction area (a design fault that Epson never really addressed — they did change the tray design a little during the production run, but it didn't make much difference) and slipping on the plastic once the surface wears a little.

Cleaning the underside of the tray helps for a while, but the slippage soon comes back.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:06 PM   #396

I NEED A MAC-COMPATIBLE ADJUSTMENT PROGRAM FOR MY EPSON R200 PRINTER TO RESET THE WASTE INK COUNTER.

My Epson Stylus Photo R200 Printer stopped working the other day and I get the message the says "service required", etc. etc.

I figure it's the saturated waste ink pads.

I Did the hose-outside-the-printer-and-into-an-adjacent-container trick, thanks to all the great info on this site.

Only problem is now I can't find a Mac-compatible adjustment program that would reset my waste ink counter.

I've searched a lot of forums and got info from a lot of sites, including these -

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...l%20Epson.html

http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/C60.html

http://myprinter.altervista.org/simp...q.html#counter

http://rapidshare.de/files/31150188/PA_SPR200_210.zip

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...pson_R200.html

but the above sites just don't have a Mac-compatible adjustment program.

I have a Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Can anybody help?

clearlynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:40 AM   #397

So far as I know, there's no MAC-compatible reset program for Epson printers.

That leaves you with four options:

Write one (it's time someone did...)

or

Take the printer to an Epson service centre and pay more than the printer's worth.

or

Find a friend with a Windows PC.

or

Search through this thread for the 3-button reset for the R200 and use that.

Remember after using it you have to turn the printer off with the power button to store the change into the firmware.

You may also get a further error message, if so then disconnect the power cord for a while to clear the printer's memory.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:13 AM   #398

Hi Idle -

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Oh, please don't tell me there's no Mac-compatible reset program for Epson printers. There has to be relief for us Mac users. We're always left out of all the free goodies floating around on the web.

About your options -

I'm not really computer savvy - don't know how to write a program.

Printer service centres will never get my repair business - I've already paid a fortune in ink the last 3 years (they should give me the adjustment program for free)!

Don't know anyone with a Windows PC

The 3 button reset that was mentioned before was for an R-300 series, as I recall. The buttons are different on that than on the R200. (I tried the sequence anyway - what the heck - but it didn't work.)

Idle, you're very likely right about this - I've done an extensive search online for 2 days and found zip - so I won't keep my hopes up about finding a reset program online for my Mac.

But if by chance anyone knows of one please post the info here - to help all us happy Mac users.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:59 AM   #399

I looked it up for you:

Printer turned off

Hold down 'ink' and 'paper feed' buttons

Turn printer on with buttons still held down

Continue holding them down for 10-12 seconds (I think this includes the power button — not sure. If it doesn't work one way, try the other)

Release and wait till everything stabilises

Turn printer off with the button (this is essential — otherwise the change won't be written to memory.)

If you get a visit from "General Error" at the next turn-on, don't salute — shut down, switch off at the wall, wait a few minutes and power up again.

Reason for edit: Post written in haste — was being paged.

BTW, these instructions for the R200 are elsewhere in the thread. Probably a bit more than a year back.

Even if they did give you the service program, it won't run on a MAC either...
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:14 PM   #400

Hi Idle:

I've tried what you suggested.

Tried it over and over.

Tried different combinations of buttons.

Nothing worked.

Had to refrain from hucking the unit out the window.

I'd decided that since I couldn't fix the thing - and I needed an operating printer right away - I had to get a new one.

Though I liked the Epson's quality there were some drawbacks to owning the R200

- It used 6 ink cartridges and when it ran out of one colour the printer wouldn't print. I mostly used the black for text printing, though it came in handy for colour printing.

- The price of replacing all those ink cartridges on a regular basis was prohibitive. It cost me a fortune to run that particular printer.

- I couldn't fix it myself.

The above drawbacks made me decide not to buy another Epson.

Today I bought a new Canon Pixma IP 3500. Will be giving it a good workout this weekend.

Thanks for all your help Idle.