Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:04 AM   #411

Hi Idle,

These lights are definately flashing together in unison, it gets about half way thro its start up and then stops.

I've tried everything thats been posted on this forum to the letter (and then some!) That might explain why everything I've tried hasn't worked if its a mechanical error rather than the ink pads.

It did start coming up with the "parts need replacing message" a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your reply, I need to find out what these two flashing lights mean then! Otherwise its up PC World for a new printer and a binning lot of new ink that I can't use on any other printer!

Paul_DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:58 AM   #412

Power light OFF
Paper and ink lights fast blink in unison

Usually means a problem with carriage motor or paper feed motor (overload -- often something jamming one or the other or the print head guide needs clean and lube.

Check your PM's
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:46 AM   #413

Thanks Idle.

Look forward to receiving the info.

I checked all of the rollers nothing jamming at all, in fact its about 1/2 of the way through its self test when it stops.

Carriage assembly drops and lifts. moves to the left and back. All of the rollers do a quick turn head carriage assembly does another drop and then the lights start flashing and nothing from then on.

The print head assembly moves quite freely on the bar, doesn't stick at all.

I've soaked up all of the excess printer ink from the pads underneath the print head so will wait and see what the info your sending suggests.

Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:12 AM   #414

I'd say there is definitely an error being picked up during the self test — some of them are quite hard to find.

Check that the translucent plastic strip above the drive belt is clean — a drop of ink or accumulation of dust on it can cause problems.

There's an LED sensor on the back of the head carriage that reads it — if you can access that, make sure it's clean as well (although usually a fault here makes the thing go mad...)

BTW, there's no point to soaking up the ink off the pads — they're meant to be wet and will be exactly the same in a day or so.

Being wet helps keep the jets clear (think about it...)
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:56 AM   #415

Thanks Idle,

All received! I'll have a look at what you've suggested and se if I can get this thing to play!

:bye:

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:31 AM   #416

Waahh...another Mac user left in the dark.
So I need to find a friend with a PC? Haul my printer over there, download this magical program from a Russian website (friend will love that I'm sure). And hope when I hook it back up to my G5 all will be happy?
I guess...what's a road trip with a printer after spending weeks searching for info online, days disassembling my R300, cleaning as many pad as I could find, drilling a hole for a tube to a tub, putting it all back together, unlugging, and restarting holding as many button as my fingers can access...only to STILL get that darned "general error" message.
I just hope I don't have to deal with the "do not ever leave ink cartridges out for even a few minutes" problem next. Unfortunately didn't read that post until after taking this sucker apart
Looking at all the collective time spent on this Epson printer problem, I think we could have solved the world peace issue had we directed our energies in that direction.
Please let me know if any Mac users out there have had any luck with mating their epson with a PC for this procedure.
gingerbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:03 AM   #417

Has anyone ever used waterproof (pigment) ink CIS set with the R200 and R300 series printers? Do they work or do the heads clog up beyond rescue?
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:09 AM   #418

Gingerbud: If what you're getting is a "general error" message, then the SSC utility may not be much use to you.

If you're getting the "Parts inside your printer" etc. message, then it probably will help.

Unfortunately it does need a PC (or maybe a Mac running Windows -- I wouldn't know) to do its job.

However, for the ink counter reset the button sequence elsewhere in this thread does work (I've used it myself at times), but you must follow the instructions to the letter, including the switch off afterwards to set the change in firmware -- you'll get no place just randomly pushing buttons.

If you've had the printer apart (definitely not recommended for these touchy machines), you may have left something loose or not set correctly -- hence a "general error".

MZMS: Pigment ink will work in a R200/300 series -- provided you use it a lot and run a nozzle check at least daily, but it makes them very prone to clogs.

It will probably drive you screaming up the wall after a while.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:52 AM   #419

Many thanks Idle...the flashing "general error" message is what drove me to the ink party to begin with. One day the R300 just made a nasty noise...like the carriage was stuck and then my relationship with the general error began.
I could see gooey ink in those areas under the ink carriage and red ink all over the 1st little roller on the right which led me to think it was the nasty ink overflow problem. Printer is about 3 years old. My Mac tech guy thinks it's not worth fiddling with since printers are so cheap. I am determined to avoid sending another piece of equipment to the digital trash heap!
So are you saying I may be getting the message now because I tinkered?
I was pretty careful about that strip/cable looking thingy when I lifted the case to clean.
gingerbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:17 PM   #420

Maybe the carriage was stuck — or the printer thought it was.

The carriage drive motor has an overload sensor that can cause an error if the load gets too high, such as a bit of paper jammed under the carriage or lack of lubrication on the guide bar.

There can also be dirt/ink on the sensor strip or on the LED that reads it — this can cause a wierd noise as the thing loses orientation.

Check your PM's.