Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:32 PM   #421

It seems that my R310 wants to do a head flush every single day! Is this normal for you guys as well? If I leave it on the entire day and only switch it off at night (printing now and then throughout the day), then when I turn it on again (mains power is left on) in the morning to do some printing it will do a head cleaning cycle which is very wasteful. I don't think it should do a cleaning cycle this often as I am printing every day already! Any way or mod to reduce this cycle? Could it be that it does a clean cycle depending on the job done? I will experiment with only text documents today and turn it off, then on tomorrow and see if it will do another clean cycle with only text documents to print.
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:32 PM   #422

Been a while since I visited this topic but I thought I'd just mention that I came up with a rather novel approach to the waste ink issue that resolves a few things relating to the tank itself.

The solution was to use a sealed bag with a few tube and valve fittings and ironically I stumbled across it while I was trying to sort out a reservoir system for my Continuous ink supply systems.

Anyways, here's a quick pic'... I am making it available on Ebay in the UK but I wanted to share as the whole potential for mess with rigid containers is something that's put me off Epsons of late..

The really nice bit is the valve that you can see in clear plastic just west of the bag.. It auto-closes/opens when the tube fitting is unscrewed or screwed in.. And the lack of a vent hole makes a massive difference when some numpty knocks the darned thing off the back, moving the printer around, etc...

The low profile stops the age old problem of back flow although that depends on someone not putting it on something, etc... And I had considered that someone might be daft and actually put the printer on the bag so it's not perfect but certainly has some advantages... T'is all pro's n' cons...

Now, if only I could solve my CIS reservoir issues I'd be a happy man!
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:36 PM   #423

mzms wrote:
Quote:
It seems that my R310 wants to do a head flush every single day! Is this normal for you guys as well? If I leave it on the entire day and only switch it off at night (printing now and then throughout the day), then when I turn it on again (mains power is left on) in the morning to do some printing it will do a head cleaning cycle which is very wasteful. I don't think it should do a cleaning cycle this often as I am printing every day already!
Are you by any chance using a Continuous ink supply system or some kind of modified chips that are resetting to 100% every time you turn the printer off/on?

Probably not but given that you're wasting ink this much you might want to consider leaving the printer on overnight.. If you're concerned about power wastage you might want to bear in mind that the printer is on standby and using electric when still on at the mains anyway and that ink purge is going to hurt environmentally/budget wise anyway.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:26 PM   #424

mzms:

Your printer may not actually be doing a head clean every time it's turned on.

It's normal for the machine to go through a lengthy self-test whenever it's powered up — this doesn't always include a head clean.

I do, however, agree that the head clean cycles are heavily biased toward Epson's revenue.

Mine will often clean the heads after printing one page and changing to CD mode, then another when switched back to paper again — thus using many times the amount of ink it needs to.

Websnail:

Epson's larger commercial inkjets use a collapsible sac system with no air vent for their ink feed — I see no reason it wouldn't work equally well on the smaller ones and it would be quite feasible to make them refillable via a suitable non-return valve.

On the older ones (3000 etc.) it was relatively easy to refill them with a hypodermic and a small bit of sticky to seal the puncture.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:30 AM   #425

By head flush I mean a full head clean, not the warm up thing it does upon start up. Each time I send a new print job after only a day, it will do a clean up. Sometimes it doesn't do that for like 2 days, sometimes it does it back to back. it's just crazy and almost random! I think Epson really did this to pour more money into their pockets. Well, thank goodness for CISS systems and cheap but quality ink then! Just that the wasted ink is not good for the environment.

I now only use my epson like once a month, I turn it on every few days as I need to use the card reader and I think that is good enough to clean the heads lightly. So far so good. When I need to print a photo, it does a head clean anyway so the head is usually always clog free when I get down to printing even after a long period as long as I turn it on at least once a week.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:59 AM   #426

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Websnail:

Epson's larger commercial inkjets use a collapsible sac system with no air vent for their ink feed — I see no reason it wouldn't work equally well on the smaller ones and it would be quite feasible to make them refillable via a suitable non-return valve.

On the older ones (3000 etc.) it was relatively easy to refill them with a hypodermic and a small bit of sticky to seal the puncture.
Yeah... In truth I moved away from Epsons in favour of Canon and HP officejet printers when the newer chips came out for Epson printers so I've not really been looking at those... You're right though the Epsons can easily use a bag system like this... I'm pretty sure the wideformat carts are where my ink supplier came up with the idea

Just as another thought, has anyone produced a video or fully illustrated guide for the mod for any of the printers? I completely forgot to sort one out myself when I still had my R300 and R200's... *doh*
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:45 AM   #427

Are there any instructions available showing how to disassemble the R200? Mine has the dreaded 2 flashing lights (at the same time) I've checked for paper jam and cleaned the sensor strip. I've also reset the protection counter to no avail. Strange thing is that if i leave the printer unplugged for a period of time sometimes it will work for a short while.
BILKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:59 AM   #428

Are you using a CIS system or original inks only? That happened to me before and I found out that my old CIS was leaking and that caused some problems. I think the paper feed/jam sensor or something got some ink on it. This thing is located somewhere behind or under the head carriage according to my R310 service manual. Probably the same with the R200.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:01 AM   #429

That reads like either a component overheating or a corroded contact somewhere.

Check your PM's.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:53 AM   #430

No i'm not using CISS yet i have one but would rather get printer up and running and cleaned out before i try to use it. Thanks Idle
BILKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote