Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:52 AM   #431

Just a quick note...

It seems that Epson have finally bowed to pressure regarding their "service required" message and started providing resetters for specific printers but only in the USA.

Ref: Mikling on nifty-stuff..

The key link is this...
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...nkPadsForm.jsp

I checked up on the availability of this in the UK but was told it wasn't happening here so we're out of luck for now.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:06 AM   #432

Interesting, and not before it was time!

I just contacted Epson Australia to see if it's to be made available here — no reply as yet and I don't really expect one.

Out of curiosity I had a go at the US site — no luck without a valid US/Canada serial number.

Not that I really need it at the moment, of course, but one day my R310 will wear out, the replacement will need different software to reset it and what does A do then?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:40 PM   #433

Amazing as it may seem this thread is still useful in 2008!!

I have had a R200 for two years and recently bought a used R300 for £5 (yes five English pounds). This machine printed a perfect nozzle check print immediately, without even a nozzle clean! And a perfect A4 photo straight after. The 6 cartridges are all at least 35% full.

I had already carried out your mod on the R200 and will now do so on the R300.

These are truly amazing value printers and your ideas will enable me to get many years of use out of them I am sure.

Only just joined these forums. I am so glad I did.
mike_july17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:55 AM   #434

mike_july17 wrote:
Quote:
Amazing as it may seem this thread is still useful in 2008!!

I have had a R200 for two years and recently bought a used R300 for £5 (yes five English pounds). This machine printed a perfect nozzle check print immediately, without even a nozzle clean! And a perfect A4 photo straight after. The 6 cartridges are all at least 35% full.

I had already carried out your mod on the R200 and will now do so on the R300.

These are truly amazing value printers and your ideas will enable me to get many years of use out of them I am sure.

Only just joined these forums. I am so glad I did.
Sounds like you did very well out of the R300 and I suspect with Epson continuously changing the goal posts with their chips those "old" printers will only continue to grow in value rather than lose it.

Oh and welcome to our den of iniquity
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 5:19 PM   #435

My R300 was't printing Lt. Cyan so I did some googling and came across this site. I had no idea there was an ink overflow reservoir.

It looks like I don't have Lt. Cyan because the clear tube came off under the control panel. Problem is I don't know where it is supposed to be attached.

Can someone attach a photo of the proper installation of this end of the tube.

Here is a photo of mine with the cover removed.

HELP!!!
Attached Images

blcksmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:17 PM   #436

Just above and to the left of the pointer you'll see a black plastic projection with a hole in the centre — you can see ink in it,

The tube attaches to this, pointing upward and it curves away to the left and down, vanishing under the parking pads to the vacuum pump.

Your problem is that you've somehow managed to snap off the plastic nipple the tube pushes onto.

Unless and until you can somehow replace it and achieve an airtight joint, your printer is pretty much useless.

Some-one with a small lathe could spin up a suitable connector from a bit of nylon rod, ream the hole out slightly and fit it — at least, that's what I'd do.

Remember there's another tube (black) on the opposite side of the plastic block, so don't enlarge the hole right through!!

The alternative is to try and glue the broken piece back on — good luck with that...

Old May 2, 2008, 9:59 PM   #437

Oooohhh.... I have no idea what causd that to break, considering it's up under the control panel.

I have a 2 and a 6 yr old, so no telling what might have been dropped in there.

Now that I know where the tube belongs, I think I can come up with a fix.

I was thinking if I got a nylon spacer with an inner diameter similar to the outer diameter of the clear tubing, and super-glued it (air tight) around the broken barb that broke off. Then inserted the soft clear tube into the new spacer, that might restore the vacuum pump. I will probably try to get the broken piece out of the clear tube first (I thought it was just black ink in the end).

Thanks for responding to my call for help. I love the quality of this printer and am lost without it. I just hope to restore the function of the lt. cyan ink. The others seem to work pretty good. The black streaks and so the the dk. cyan, I just hope a nozzle clean is all they need now.

Here's a dwg of my proposed fix, any comments?

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2008, 4:44 AM   #438

There's no reason you couldn't do that, so long as the adhesive takes and stays put.

Don't let glue get into the ink passage and be quite sure it's airtight, though, otherwise head cleans won't work and you'll very soon lose the rest of your inks.

Since the plastic block is in effect only a connector (I don't think there's a non-return valve in it), you could also connect the black and transparent tubes directly together via a suitable adapter, then anchor them with a dab of glue.
Old May 3, 2008, 6:12 PM   #439

Is that the same tube that comes out the back? Or is the pump beween this tube and the one in back. If this IS the same tube, why doesn't ink just ooze all over inside my printer now?

I guess what in actually asking is; what the oder that the ink flows throught the system?

1-Top pad, 2-Black tube, 3-Clear tube, 4-Pump, 5-another clear tube, 6-overflow area?

or

1-Top pad, 2-Pump, 3-Black tube, 4-Clear tube, 5-overflow area?

or

1-Something totall different?

Right now I have no Lt. Cyan, do you think it'll come back once I do a head clean? If not is there a way to clean them by hand? Also how do you get the case apart so you can actually see under the ink carriage?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just trying to learn how this works. I have a degree in electronics, but without a manual i'm just guessing. Is there an assembly drawing available free on the net somewhere?
Old May 3, 2008, 7:18 PM   #440

You got it right with (1) — the pump operates from about half-way along the clear tube.

I guess you might manage a head clean with a hypodermic attached to the black tube, but equally you might also damage a head and total the printer — those ceramic heads are more than a little flimsy and the vacuum pump only adds to the normal head action, it isn't just a static pull.

I would expect your missing colour to come back once the pump action is restored — it might take a few head cleans to do it, though, perhaps aided by some ammonia-based glass cleaner on the parking pad.

Check your PM's.