Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 31, 2008, 4:15 AM   #451

It's not very likely, but you just might have a bad contact on the cartridge chip.

If cleaning the contacts, be very careful not to distort the spring contacts on the carriage — if you bend one it's next to impossible to get it back into shape.

You might also have a defective cyan cartridge — they do happen.

Otherwise, it's likely you need hands-on assistance, which might be uneconomic.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 4:28 AM   #452

hi the cart thinks its printing so the chip seems to be connecting ok

and as far as hands on assistance goes i can pull it apart no problem im just not sure what im looking for

fubar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 4:40 AM   #453

i dont think its the chip .... the cart thinks its printing

iv even emptied an old cyan cart reset the chip / filled it with head cleaner /refitted it and done a head clean but the cleaner didnt go through the heads
Old May 31, 2008, 4:54 AM   #454

From that, it looks as though the printer doesn't find anything wrong — electronic faults usually trigger an error of some kind.

That leaves only a few possibilities.

One is an air leak at the feed spike — the head will always pull air in preference to liquid if it physically can, then cavitate — or no air venting into the cart (I think you've shown it's not that) — another is a failed head (the ceramic is very easily damaged) or a bad contact on the head itself (don't know what you could do about that, if anything.)

A failed head = a written off printer — replacements are worth more than the machine is, unless you can get your hands on a used one with a different fault.

I've made one printer out of two several times in the distant past, when they used to cost a lot more than they do now.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:00 AM   #455

Old May 31, 2008, 6:39 AM   #456

ok thanks Idle

i think i will remove the whole carriage and do a strip down

cheers the the advice

Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:41 AM   #457

Read the first few pages of this and have now done the tube thing out the back of my r300. Ive had it about 3-4 years maybe.

I recently brought windows vista and connected it up, it works ok for printing writing but pictures was coming out with greenish/pinkish lines down them. Ive done numerous nozzle checks and head cleaning. Replaced all the cartridges and the light magneta is still showing gaps in the nozzle check and pictures are coming out green all over.

Could someone please help me, ive not changed any settings with the printer as im useless when it comes to that
Trevildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:33 PM   #458

The green cast and the light magenta gaps are probably connected.

First thing to try is the ammonia-based window cleaner on the parking pads trick — just a few drops on the colour pad and leave overnight, then a head clean and nozzle check.

A more aggressive clean can be done manually by placing a strip of clean, lint-free cloth moistened with window cleaner along the print head path, move the heads over it, pick up the ends and do the obvious.

You should avoid doing more than three or four consecutive head cleans without printing something.

As the Epson manual says, too many cleans can damage heads.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:26 PM   #459

I have another problem with my r300 .... I hope you peeps can help

when i try and print something i get pink with the text or pic on top of that

so if its a letter im printing i get black text on pink background the only way i can print normal is to do 3-4 head cleans then its normal but if i leave it for a couple of hours or so its pink again

this even happens if i tell the printer to print with black ink only

any ideas

thanks
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:56 PM   #460

Is it an even pink cast or lines across the paper, and is it confined to the print area or does it go right across (perhaps even onto the printer frame?)

If it's an even cast it's probably being sprayed on, which will mean the head (light magenta most likely) is being told to do it (although I wouldn't expect that to go away with repeated head cleans.)

Lines across the page can be anything from something caught on the head assembly to a leak somewhere.

Not having encountered the problem myself, I can only speculate.

You might perhaps try re-installing the printer drivers from a fresh download.