Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:55 AM   #41

hi there, where is the waste in tube in the r200? i've taken the little hatch off and looked inside but i can't see the tube. Has anyone got a picture? i was gettiing the "end of life" message so i reset the counters but need to install a waste bottle before it leaks. Any help would be great!
fazerdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:30 AM   #42

Inside the hatch, look downwards & you should see a piece of white foam plastic -- it's there to keep the tube down on the waste pad (in my R310 it's down and to the left of the hatch -- I think the R200 has the hatch further over, so it may be underneath or even slightly to the right.)

The pix at the top of this thread should give you a clue -- the hose is led almost straight out.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:20 AM   #43

cheers idle, i'll take a look later and let you know
fazerdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:14 AM   #44

I just emptied my waste ink bottle -- not for the first time, it had about 3 months accumulation in it.

Out of curiosity, I measured the contents -- 52ml.

Epson carts for the R200-300 cost $19 here, 52ml is about the usable content of five carts -- nearly $100 of ink down the drain in three months, about $400 a year!

And that's without what went onto paper...

Now I know why the service error message comes up so quickly on these printers -- it's about equal to emptying a can of beer into the waste pads every twelve months. :evil:

PS: After viewing the pic I went and got a duster -- the camera doesn't lie...

Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:08 PM   #45

I just bought a r200 and it came with the oldstyle cd tray, if I call epson and complain, will they give me the new style tray. I've only printed a handful of cds with it, I only had a jamming problem once (it took about 12 trys for the thing to take the tray in).

greg

greg-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:45 PM   #46

The only possible answer to that is "Try it and see" -- they can't bite you! :-)
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:42 PM   #47

This is my first post on the forum and would like to pass on my appreciation and thanks to Idle who posted the invaluable info on this thread.

I've a R300 and a few days ago got that dreaded service required message, my printer being 3 weeks out of warranty.

Searching for info I came across this website (I'd visited many times before, mainly for reviews of digicams etc) and started to read the thread.

I was about to trash my printer and purchase a similar model as I have a good stock of inks, but decided to give Idle's solution a try, fantastic, worked a treat, many thanks.

I was quite surprised at the amount ink spewing out after renewing the black cart when recharging, just as well I'm using non Epson carts... 5 colours + 2 blacks for £4.49

william123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:41 AM   #48

Hi, I have completed the mod regarding the external tube but everytime I turn my printer on it issues quite a lot of ink into the waste tank, I have read that the way the heads are cleaned is through a syphon system and the other end of the tube is directly attached to the bottom of the cleaning sponge/filter. If you pull this tube off, wash and replace the sponge the ink waste is down to 0%. Of course you cannot do a head clean because the pipe is off that creates the vacuum necessary to pull the ink through the nozzles however considering that you rarely need to do a head clean do you think that this idea is a good one?

topnotch
dipshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:52 AM   #49

Several folk have done this with varying degrees of success -- you'll still need to put it back occasionally (not too occasionally...) and initiate a head clean, otherwise your heads will clog irretrievably.

FYI, between the point where you can disconnect the tube and the waste pads (or external tank) there's a pump -- this is what sucks the ink through during cleans and the initial priming.

With the hose disconnected, of course, the printer will still go through the motions of head cleaning, but the pump will drag only air (another reason to reconnect it now and then -- it's a pretty crude device, and if it runs dry...)

Removing and washing the parking pad isn't a real good idea -- you'll eventually damage the rubber seal upon which the device relies to keep the heads from drying out and you'll get an incurable clog.

Re the frequency of head cleans, I found my R310 did it every time if I printed from a card slot, but in normal use it's fairly infrequent -- does pump through a lot of ink, though.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:59 AM   #50

Yer it certainly does, I did the mod yesterday and put the tube inside a container then turned the printer on, is that much waste really necessary?
My CIS system bubbles now as the ink is drawn through whereas before I got the reset counter problem they did not. The reset was done by pressing the 3 buttons thingy so I assume the counter was reset ok. Could it be that because the counter has been reset that the printer is going through these head cleaning procedures?

dipshit
dipshit is offline   Reply With Quote