Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:25 PM   #51

I don't think resetting the counter would have any bearing on the frequency of head cleans, nor on bubbles in your CIS tubes.

It probably would go through a full initial purge, since the firmware will assume the printer's been dismantled to replace the waste pads, but after that everything should be as it was before.

It could be that the head cleans and bubbles are related, though.

Bubbles in the tubes = air getting into them (you didn't let your bottles run low, did you?) = air in the carts.

I had to scrap the first CIS I had because of the poor quality 'O' rings in the cheap carts they used letting air in (and ink leak out) at the outlet ports.

To get rid of the bubbles, pull the carts out, invert them and, with a hypodermic (minus needle, of course) pull ink through each until you get no more bubbles coming through.

You have to push the end of the syringe in far enough to lift the outlet valve.

You can put the ink drawn out back into the relevant bottle (make sure you clean the syringe between each) so how much you pull through is immaterial -- just make sure there's no air left in the carts.

If you do this properly and the bubbles come back, you've got a leak somewhere.

Best of luck. :-)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 6:56 AM   #52

Does anyone know how to reset the counter when using an epson r200 with a mac? I've gone to the ssc website but the icon isn't even coming up from which I can download the software from.
Thanks,
Emma
emmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:33 AM   #53

The only suggestion I can make is to try and get access to a PC and do the deed from there -- some other MAC users have done that successfully.

I think there are PC emulators for the MAC -- possibly that might be a solution too (my sole experience with MAC's was some 20 years ago and wasn't all that happy...)

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:15 PM   #54

I have installed the continuous flow system on my Epson R210 and diverted the waste tank. After thousands of full colour prints, the quality is still perfect. However, I find after about 7000 pages, the wheels which feed the paper start to slip and soon stop functioning.I had them replaced, but after appoximately another 7000 pages, exactly the same problem. It appears to me that the continuous flow and purge tank diversion work fine, but the printer itself is not built to last and the problem of the paper feed will be a constant problem if a lot of printing takes place. Maybe Epson has given up in trying to defeat the use of compatible inks and instead is building the printers to die a premature deathmechanically.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:51 PM   #55

I haven't encountered this as yet, but with most (all?) printers it's necessary to clean the rollers and paper path now and then -- particularly when using lots of coated paper.

The coating of some papers will build up on the rollers over a period (once upon a time there were cleaning sheets that could be fed through -- haven't seen them offered lately, though.)

Having said that, the R200-300 series printers are made down to a price, don't have a really long service life and Epson make no secret of it -- if you work it hard and complain that it didn't stand up they'll suggest you buy one of the more expensive units.

If you look at the relative prices, though, it's still cheaper to buy two R200's. :-)

Edit: A thought: You might be able to find a non-paper material that you could wet with a suitable solvent and feed through a few times -- the cleaning sheets had a coating that picked up the gunk from rollers and guides.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:39 AM   #56

Interesting about the rollers slipping because of the build up of coating from papers. Since the continuous flow/purge tank diversion turns the Epson into a cheap reliable printer, perhaps the next target is the problem of the paper feed slipping. Another friend has just had the same problem with his Epson R210 but whilst still under warranty.

Incidentially, I have computed that the 15000 mainly colour pages I have printed on my Epson R210 would have cost me approximately A$8000 for replacement genuine cartridges, based on 200 pages per set of six cartridges. Using bulk ink supplies, I have spent about A$500 on ink, so much for Epson's claim that using non genuine inks can work out more expensive and damage the printheads. If you remove the side cover from an empty Epson cartridge to expose the plastic film sealing the cartridge, you will see there is still about 3-4mm of ink left inside the cartridge after the chip signals the cartridge is empty! Add what ends up in the purge tank and you do not have much ink leftto actually go onto the paper.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:41 PM   #57

Argh! I want to throw my r300 against a wall right now and go Office Space on it like Michael Bolton!!!

As soon as I turn it on, I receive the General Error. I have modded it so the ink tube is free, installed the SSC Service Utility, reset the counter, the ink cartridges are full, I just don't know.

I am using refillable ink cartridges, but I have a friend with the exact same setup with no problems. I would hope that means the ones I have are compatible. Everything was working fine for a while, then i started getting the same errors as everyone else. Paper jam error, but the paper wasn't jammed. Unrecognized cartridges, etc. Now it's just the General Error, and I can't do anything.

When I try and do a head cleaning using the SSC Service Utility I get an error "This function isn't supported in this printer state"

I hope this printer isn't a bust, I don't have a receipt or warranty on it. I just spent $100 on refillable inks. ARGH!!!

I can't figure out how to clean the ink pads, though I found two very small ones (far left and far right) that I cleaned but that did nothing.

I have tried the Maintanence, Stop, Power combo and all I get is a message saying "Clear Waste Ink Ctr"

Finished

Turn off

Printer Power.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
aya9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:04 AM   #58

Do you still have the original Epson cartridges in working condition?

If so, my first action would be to put them back in and see what happens.

It might also be that the refillables are not making proper contact to the chip sensors, which will also give you 'unrecognised carts' error.

The CIS I have installed at the moment gave me that error when first installed -- after trying for some time I gave up, removed the chips and replaced them with a spare set I'd happened to acquire and all was fine again.

If your refillables are new and have never been recognised, I'd take it up with the supplier -- it's not an unknown problem.

Once you get the chips recognised, it's possible the other errors will go away -- or at least (hopefully) the reset program will work.

Cleaning the waste pads will have no effect on the electronics -- they have no fluid sensors attached and their state is calculated by an algorithm in the printer's chipset, so even if there's no ink at all in them (like mine) the message will still appear at the appointed time.

Then again, you might just have a dud printer -- that isn't unheard of either...

If you finally get to the throwaway point, you've nothing to lose by stripping it down and checking all connections inside the thing -- quite often it's just a bad contact somewhere.

Pay particular attention to the cart chip contacts (very fragile, be careful not to bend any of them -- just one out of place and you can kiss the printer goodbye!) and to the connector in the top cover behind the keypad -- if it isn't properly home it causes all sorts of errors to appear.

You might also try posting a question on the forum at the SSC program site.

Sorry I can't be more helpful -- it's pretty hard to see down the wire from where I am... :-)

Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:13 AM   #59

Idle,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post! Unfortunately I no longer get the unrecognized cartridge error, just the general error message. I am so frustrated, and I did start taking it apart yesterday, but I must be missing a screw somewhere *pun intended, this thing is driving me mad* because I can't quite get it apart.

As for the site ssc program site, when i kept trying yesterday I just got the page not found error. The site may have just been down. I'll try again today.

Thanks again for your reply,

Aya
aya9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:38 PM   #60

I haven't had occasion to strip one right down as yet, but if it's the top that's balking you, there are four screws -- one in the front to the left of where the carriage parks for cart change and three across the back -- two under the top cover hinge (it's easiest to remove the lid first) and one in the recess where the optional display plugs in.

Having removed them, there are two clips to be freed -- one in each front corner.

Don't be brutal with the clips -- it would be easy to snap them.