Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:57 PM   #1

Default Canon S820D

Hello all! Anyone use the Canon S820D? how good is it? It has good reviews but want to hear from someone who owns it. Thanks in advance.
Leest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:46 AM   #2

I don't have an S820D but I do have an S820 which I am very happy with. The only difference between the two is the ability on the S820D to print direct from a camera or memory card. Speed and print quality are identical.

The S820D has now been replaced by the S830D which has USB 2.0 and EXIF 2.2 support in hardware (supported in the driver in the S820). You may therefore be able to get a good deal on the S820D. However, if you don't need the direct print capability, get the S820.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:36 AM   #3

If you're willing to look at HP, let me suggest the HP Photosmart 7350, which I just picked up the other day from Sam's Club for $197, including USB cable and extra black cartridge. I compared, at another store, photos made on Canon S820D and HP7350 (also a D printer) from my CompactFlash card, using the best paper for each. Couldn't tell the practical difference with 4x6 size. Further, the 7350 made a fine print on cheap (7mill) Kodak paper, while the Canon made a mess of that one. Color rendition on the HP was dead on, and I can't find any grain or pixels with an 8x magnifier, with my camera only being a Canon 2.0. BTW, the D idea is terrific! My son had his Sony over with a memory stick, and we could print off a couple of shots, as well as with my own CompactFlash card. Further, you have 7 gradations of lightness/darkness on the D approach, which I hadn't realized until I got it home. I sound enthused, and am. A great deal! Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:31 PM   #4

I've used it here in the store. PRints very fast and does a great job but fades when exposed to light on a semirapid basis. Use epson colorlife paper for best archival results.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:27 PM   #5

Thanks to all replies! I just ordered the S820D. Gregerson, I will have to try some of the Epson paper! Thanks again...
Leest is offline   Reply With Quote