Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:32 AM   #1

Default Re-Filling HP ink Cartridges

I have an HP 722C and have been re-filling the color cartridge(yellow) and so far that is working good.
But the black cartridge is not printing right, I re-filled it twice, even though the ink runs out the print head, it still screws up on horz. text, it is a mystery????, But it prints fine when I make a big black "X" that I make in "paint" and when I print it out it shows a nice black "X" on the printout.
But when I try to print out regular text it prints the first line or two good, than the next line or two is printed very light like it is running out of ink.
I went on the web, they sell ink re-fill kits,(can't remember what site it was)and followed their instructions to the letter.
Instructions are: Remove plug from bottom of black cartridge, inject ink into hole, than squeeze sides of cartridge and while holding sides in,(this creates a vacuum) plug up hole with silicone, or a set screw(buy at hardware store)or tape, which I used.
I think the black cartridge on that printer is a #45, I am at work now and trying to go from memory, what I have left of it.

My feeling is you can't re-fill HP cartridges, guess I will have to pay the 30 plus dollars for a new black ink cartridge.
Any input on this would be very welcome.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:19 AM   #2

Bill
Go to this link for refilling your cartridge.
http://www.oddparts.com/ink/toner.htm
The black cartridge on older HP printers has to be pressurized once it is filled. They have no sponge inside the cartridge to absorb the ink like the color cartridges.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 9:14 AM   #3

Hi Gibson3620,
That IS the site I went, now that I read it, I have it printed out, the only thing I did different was I did not buy there ink, I have one of those universal fill kits.
I have been messing around with this cartridge too much, is there a place I can buy an HP cartridge substitute?
Staples and Office Max has the HP brands but at 30 to 35 dollars a throw.
Too messy and aggravating trying to fill a dead horse.
Thanks for you help and any other information you may have.
Bill
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:06 PM   #4

Bill
Go to www.inkcarts.com. They sell cartridges that they have refilled. They also warranty their cartridges. In the coupon section, at the checkout section, put in this coupon: GETMEADEAL. It will give you a 25% discount.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:29 PM   #5

Sounds like the printhead on your ink cartridge is drying up. You'd be better to just get yourself a new ink cartridge. They are only good for at max two refills and you cannot refill them all the way or they just dont work right I reccomend halfway filling it up.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:09 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I apperciate all the help.
Bill
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:55 PM   #7

I have refilled both the 722 and the 932. Sounds like your cartridge print head is dried out. The tip to fill half way is very good.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 7:19 AM   #8

A tip for unclogging dry printheads (HP experience only):
Turn on your hot water to the hotest and vill small bowl with the hot water. Place the printhead in the hot water for 30 to 45 seconds and then place on several layers of paper towels. I place a piece of wood under the paper towels to prevent bleed thru to any important surface my wife does not want covered with black ink. Also works with colored cartridges. Let dry and place in printer and runs cycles of prining printhead. DO NOT leave in water over 45 seconds as it can damage the printhead.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:39 PM   #9

Hmmm I'm gonna have to try that with my old HP color. Funny thing is that if you let the printer sit two years in a box the color ink does'nt want to work again.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:12 AM   #10

Thanks again everyone, but I tried it all, I will have to buy a new cartridge, $29.95 for the #45 black in Wal-Mart.
Bill