Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:38 PM   #11

Hi Thanks Jim for getting back to me. I am printing at exhibitions, so I do need it to be stand alone and direct from camera. I tried it on an epson 800 with the usb lead that I use to connect to my computer. Apparently, Ive just discovered their is pictbridge and direct printing... and that what Im doing direct printing. I dont know if the cannon supports this. I did writeto them and they dont know either,they told me to contact epson! fat chance that they will tell me
lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:04 PM   #12
Administrator

Aaah. I couldn't figure out why you needed to print so many times per night.

My best guess is that Epson designed the printer to be compatible with their own older model cameras. You could probably go to a store with demo printers, and see if they'd let you try it on other models to see if it would work or not. But, I wouldn't get my hopes up toomuch (as your camera was introduced before printing directly from cameras became popular, and prior to the introduction ofPictBridge).

BTW, I actually owned the predecessor to your camera at one time (I bought an Epson PhotoPC 3000z when it was introduced in 2000). If memory serves, I had over $1,000.00 invested by the time I boughta largermemory card to go with it. Have times changed, or what? ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:29 PM   #13

Dear Jim, thanks once again, perhaps, if you have the time,you can help me with another worry. I want to buy an external flash for my camera but a want something that reacts by light sensor, in other words when my internal flash , flashes, it thinks "oh good flash ...lets all flash". Do you have any idea what Im talking about ? Im afraid Im a bit new and not really up on all the technical jargon. Can I just buy any old flash, if its not going to be directly connected to my camera? Regards lola
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:18 AM   #14
Administrator

lola wrote:
Quote:
Dear Jim, thanks once again, perhaps, if you have the time,you can help me with another worry. I want to buy an external flash for my camera but a want something that reacts by light sensor, in other words when my internal flash , flashes, it thinks "oh good flash ...lets all flash". Do you have any idea what Im talking about ? Im afraid Im a bit new and not really up on all the technical jargon. Can I just buy any old flash, if its not going to be directly connected to my camera? Regards lola
You're talking about a slave flash. As far as buying any old flash .... not all flashes are designed to be slave flashes. Also, some slave flashes are desgined to trigger on one flash, and some are designed to trigger on two flashes. Some are switchable.

Many digital cameras use a preflash, just prior to the main flash (even if Red Eye Reduction is off). This preflash is used for metering with some models. Some people won't notice the preflash, and some will.

You can also buy slave triggers that you can use with non-slave type flash models.

Are you trying to mount the flash in the camera's hot shoe? If so, why go with a slave versus a flash designed to be triggered from the hot shoe?

Depending on the flash you buy, your camera can get a little "top heavy" (since the size/weight of the flash can be a bit heavy for a compact model like your Epson). I can remember using an old Vivitar 273 with the Epson 3000z, and it used to flip upside easily when used with a neck strap. ;-)

I'd make sure you're comfortable with this part (ergonomics, size, weight) when shopping for a flash --taking the distances you'll need to shoot at into consideration.

BTW, make sure you don't use an old flash likea Vivitar 273in your hotshoe. The higher trigger voltages on older flashes like this candamage a camera's electronics. I got away with it (I didn't know any better at the time). But, it's a better idea to use a flash with a lower (i.e., around 6 volts) trigger voltage.

Mostnewer Auto Flashes should work fine. Just match the Aperture Setting in your camera to the scale on your flash for metering purposes and experiment until you get it just right. I'd visit a local camera store and look around at some flashes to get a better idea of what is available.

Looking at my notes from when I owned the 3000z, Epson used to recommend the Metz 32 Z-2 with this model. But, I've seen owners using lots of different flashes with it (Vivitars, Sunpaks, etc.).

Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:12 PM   #15

Ah yes the "Slave"! Just what I need I dont think the horse-shoe is the way to go. I want to mount the slave onto a tripod with an umbrella defuser and have my internal flash trigger the slave. I think my camera does do pre flash . Does that mean I have to get something that supports preflash? Thanks Lola
Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:10 PM   #16
Administrator

lola wrote:
Quote:
Ah yes the "Slave"! Just what I need I dont think the horse-shoe is the way to go. I want to mount the slave onto a tripod with an umbrella defuser and have my internal flash trigger the slave. I think my camera does do pre flash . Does that mean I have to get something that supports preflash? Thanks Lola
Yes, you'll need something that's designed to trigger on the second flash if you want to use your in camera flash, too.

Here are some examples of slave triggers that are designed to work with digital cameras that havea preflash:

http://www.srelectronics.com/sa10.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...022&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...024&is=REG

You can also buy slave flashes that are designed to ignore the preflash.

These guys could probably tell you if your model uses a preflash or not:

http://www.srelectronics.com/

Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:27 PM   #17

Thanks Jim Ive found out that I can switch my pre-flash off so I guess its no problems. Happy snapping Lola
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:15 PM   #18
Administrator

lola wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Jim Ive found out that I can switch my pre-flash off so I guess its no problems. Happy snapping Lola
Lola:

It is extremely unlikely that there is any way to disable the preflash, if your Epson 3100z has a pre-flash. Someone you talked to was probably confusing the redeye reduction pre-flash with the exposure pre-flash. Please make sure of it's behaviorbefore ordering any accessories.

I don't recall if this camera used a pre-flash or not (I owned an Epson 3000z for a while in 2000, and it's virtually identical to your 3100z except for Print Image Matching). However, chances are, it needs a pre-flash. I don't see a flash sensor on it (that's typical of models that don't use a pre-flash like the Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, etc.).

I'd make sure to check with someone knowledgable on this model to make sure of your choices.