Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:30 PM   #1

Hi there

I have contacted epson and I cant get a straight answer, just the epson brands but I would like to buy the canon ip4000, like everyone else! I contacted canon and they dont know if its compatable. Apparently it is if it supports pictbridge but epson hasnt said it is, or not?! Any help would be grayefully recieved Lola
lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Your camera was introduced in 2001. PictBridge wasn't introduced until 2003.

So, you won't be able to print directly from the camera.

However, you can always copy the images to your PC and print from the PC instead (via a USB connection to the printer).

You can also find printers with built in card readers.

Personally, I've always printed from my PC, even when I had printers with card readers, etc. After all, you'll want to store a copy of the photos on your PC anyway (andavailable softwarefor your PCgives you a lot of flexibility for editing and printing).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:42 PM   #3

Hi thanks very much for taking the time to reply but I dont think you are right epson has already said the camera supports direct print and has advised the picturemate(epson), ofcourse. You are not the first person to tell me its not pictbridge because of the age!! Confused? I know I am!!! Anybody out there. I cannot print via a computer and I dont think opening the card-reader in my camera 40 times a night to print off individual pictures is the way to go.Help?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:04 PM   #4
Administrator

lola wrote:
Quote:
Hi thanks very much for taking the time to reply but I dont think you are right epson has already said the camera supports direct print and has advised the picturemate(epson), ofcourse.
Ithink it's more likely that someone at Epson confused DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) or PIM (PRINT Image Matching) compatibility with PictBridge compatibility.

I've seen no firmware updates for this model, and it was released two years before PictBridge was announced.

Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:04 PM   #5

Does that mean I cant print via the card-reader aswell?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:14 PM   #6
Administrator

If a printer has a built in card reader, you should be able to print from it.

Or, you can transfer your photos to your PC first and print fromyour PC (which is what I'd recommend doing). That way (printing fromyour PC), you could use a printer like the iP4000 you're looking at (which does not have a card reader).

Using printing software on your PC gives you more flexibility for printing anyway (layout, cropping, etc.).

For example, hereare some screen shots of the printing softwarethat ships with theCanon iP4000:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/canonscreens

If your Epson 3100z came with Epson Film Factory, you could also use it for printing (even to a non-Epson printer).

Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply but I dont want to use a PC. Doyou think Ican open my card reader 40 times a night, to read single shots without damage?
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:42 PM   #8
Administrator

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish (needing to print photos 40 times per night).

Are you trying tosetup something to print photos instanteously as you take them (i.e., a printer at an event, etc.) while people are waiting for them?

Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:40 PM   #9

Anyway the good news is that I tried printing directly from my camera today and it worked so i dont know what all this is about pictbridge not being invented looks like epson was in their first. Thanks again Lola
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:31 PM   #10
Administrator

It's probably not PictBridge.

If you are able to print directly from the camera to a printer, it is most likely using a different protocol. What printer did it work with? The iP4000 you wereinterested in?