Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:10 PM   #1

Hi,

When I print a digital photo picture using plain paper the quality of the output is very good. When I print using photo paper (Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy)the quality of the output is very poor (colors run, very light, yellowish etc.)

I've used the I900D maintenance functions todeep clean the heads, checkedthe nozzle and auto head align many times without any success.

The ink tanks are full.

I'm at wits end.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Kirsch59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:10 PM   #2

A few questions:

What inks are you using? If they are not all Canon inks, are they all from the same supplier?

You indicate that your nozzle check pattern looks good. Could you possibly scan it in and post it? If not, does it look exactly like what is shown on the maintenance screen for a good pattern?

What software are you using to print? What settings are you using?
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:47 PM   #3

Maybe the lighter Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan inks are only used on Photo papers. Do you have the right carts in those slots?
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:17 PM   #4

If the colors run and you have the right paper selection in the printer driver, you might be feeding the paper upside down. Another possibility might be that you have Photo Paper Pro listed in the driver and the paper won't take the ink. Check the profiles in properties to make sure something hasn't been entered other than standard. You could go back to default in profiles and reset everything.

You can also oversaturate the image in the image editor or send it in the wrong color space.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:07 AM   #5

The inks are from inkgrabber.com and the same supplier.

Tomorrow I'll scan and upload the nozzle check pattern.

The software that I used to print the pictures is Canon's EasyPrint. I'm using the default settings.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:58 AM   #6

Kirsch59,

Inkgrabber recently changed formulations. Are all ofyour carts of the same vintage? If so, which vintage? The new carts come with a snap-in holder and the boxes are marked "G&G". The colors might be a little strange if you mix the vintages.

Canon's EasyPhoto Print uses printer profiles specific to Canon inks, and other inks will not give the same colors as the OEM inks.

Can you also print and scan in the attached test print so that we can seeyour problem? The test print has "pure" RGB and CMYK colors, as well as gradients containing the colors. Note that the some of the colors (especially the greens)will change when printed, since a printer has a smaller color gamut than a monitor - this is expected.

Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:01 PM   #7

grandad35,

What software do you recommend I use for printing photos on the I900D

when I am not using Canon ink and I'm using Canon paper?

Thanks

Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:31 PM   #8

Kirsch59,

Canon's EasyPhoto Print is a nice printing package - if you are using Canon ink and paper. The problem with using it with other inks/papers is that it doesn't allow you to make any adjustments to the color. You can make changes to the printer "Preferences/Main/Color Adjustment/Manual/Set..." that you would think would affect the color, but this program ignores these settings.

From your original description of your problem, it is hard to tell whether there is a problem with the printer or if you have an ink issue - therefore the questions. There are a number of posts on this (and other) forums about problems with colors when using non-OEM inks (
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=45361&forum_id=57). Canon has built "ICC profiles" for their inks and papers into their software that are specifically designed for their printer/ink/paper combinations. These profiles use "Look-up tables" that tell the printer what combinations of ink (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black) and in what percentages should be laid down to give the desired finished color, and they do an excellent job when used with the ink and paper for which they were designed. If your ink or paper has different color characteristics than the Canon ink/paper, the colors will be off.

If you print with software that uses the color adjustments in Preferences, you can adjust for a lot of the mismatch using these color adjustments, and this will be sufficient for many people. If you are very fussy or if you are going to print Black & White prints and can't tolerate any color casts (grays are very sensitive to the color match), you will either have to use OEM ink and paper or get an ICC profile for your specific combination of printer/ink/paper. If you print with a mixture of ink formulations, you will be chasing ghosts every time that you change a cart.

To answer your question about software, most other programs use the color adjustments in Preferences. If you are running WinXP, the Photo Printing Wizard will work. So will Qimage, Photoshop, etc.

When you post the scan of the color test print, please describe the problems that you see.

"Colors Run" - are the inks actually running together?

"Very Light" - it could be that the image sent to the printer is light. If your monitor isn't calibrated, it could show a "normal" image when the image is light.

"Yellowish" indicates an overall yellow color cast. This could be caused by the ink, a plugged print head, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:27 AM   #9

Slipe,

You were correct about the paper being upside down. I turn the paper upside down and the printer worked great. I never knew that the paper position was critical.

Thanks for your help.

Embarassed but enlightned,

Mark
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:33 AM   #10

Grandad35,

I'm embarassed to say I had the photo paper loaded upside down which caused the printing problems. I truly appreciate your time and effort in resolving my issues. I've learned a tremendous amount of information from your e-mails.

Thanks,

Mark