Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1

With all this talk bout longevity of prints, i remember reading somewhere (but then again i might b mistaken) that it exists a kind of substance in canisters where you can spray a thin film of this said substance onto a print to enhance it's print life, am i correct here? If so what is this substance's name or brand?
wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:13 PM   #2

There are various UV sprays – I think that is what you are referring to. http://www.papilio.com/spray%20uv%20...20aerosol.html

I have some Krylon UV spray I bought locally. I have no idea how effective any of them are long term.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3

wernehawen

I have tried a few of these sprays made by Krylon. So for, the matte sprays have not worked to good for me. I have not liked the finish that they leave.

The one that I have liked the best, as you can hardly notice that it is on the image, is the Krylon Preserve It! spray. This works great on glossy paper, and ok on matte paper.

Link to it:

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

I have also used some others, but you could really tell that something was applied to the image.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:50 PM   #4

3M makes a photo spray I believe. Also, I've had recommendations about Lyson print guard and Premier Print shield, but haven't used them.

You should also consider how the paper matches your printer and ink type. For example HP is claiming 75-80 years if you use their Premim Plus photo paper with their printers and inks. I have an HP7960 and really like their Soft Gloss paper, close to matte, but not quite. Only thing is, its hard to get Matte paper with longevity that works with dye-based inks, so I'll be looking at sprays to extend print life.

Getting them in non-acid mat and frame with UV glass, and keeping out of direct sunlight and flourscent light will add to print life. .

David.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote