Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1

I got no response from the Wide Carriage forum so I'm trying here.

One of the most important consideratons, other thanink longevity,when I was deciding which photo printer to buywas the ink cartridge configuration. After five weeks of research I finally decided on the HP 8750 because in addition to it's purported excellent colorI'll beprinting B&W and the specs on this printer are very impressive.

As it turns out after I made my decision I came across a series of articles on the IT-Enquirer website which seem to counterthe prevailingwisdom on single vs multi ink cartridges and the influencethey haveon cost of operation.

Among other things,I learned how much ink is wasted during the routine start up, cartridge replacement and cleaning operations on all printers. Their researchindicates both Canon and Epson use considerably more ink during those operations than does HP. In addition HP is the only one that does not run this cleaning cycle every time the printer isturned onandagain on all print heads every timeone cartridgeis replaced. The ink usage numbers indicate that at the end of 75 printing cyclesonly appoximatelyhalf the ink usage on Canon and Epson is foractual printing the rest is used up in the start upand cleaning operations.Approximately 81% of HP's ink finds it's way to the paper according to them.

They also state that the ink wast attributed to multi ink cartridges has been blown wayout of proportion because in normal use colors are made up of a combination of inks. No matter how you come down on this issue it seems it's not as cut and dried as it's been presented by many. I think marketing people have had a hand inshaping opinion on this. If others have real world experience that contradicts this information I'd be interested to hear about it.

As I said previously I had alreadydecided on theHP butit certainly made my decision seem much more rational.

tony

tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:38 AM   #2

very good research.

But you actually have way to avoid the clean cycles operated by Epson printers.

Try this advanced device:

http://www.InkRepublic.com

If you dont want to do the profile by yourself, you can purchase Epson 4000 ink and fill these ink into InkRepublic.com's empty bottle and install their bulk ink system on your epson printer.

Epson's ink and printer are the best choices for photographier, definitely not HP.
gracebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Just for the record: with it's new generation photo printers and archival Vivera inksets, every indicator I've found in 6 weeks of researching this purchase indicates that Epson can no longer consider itself the only option for professional photographers.

I think HP has caught up and in some ways exceeded i.e. B&W in rivaling anything on the market aimed at serious archival output. I believe the paradigm ofEpson being the only choice is no longer valid.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote