Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:26 PM   #1

I refilled my canon bci-6bk cartridge (1st time) a few days ago and now i noticed that it's leaking and it's ink even contaminated the other ink tanks. ANy idea y it's leaking ink and any remedy for it? THanks in advance.

Clarification : THe crtridge was refilled to half it's capacity so i dun think i overfilled it, however i found out that the nozzle is now leaking. It din happen when i 1st refilled it a few days ago, but this time when i took the cartridge out, it leaked until there was no more ink in the ink reservoir. Any idea wat might b causing this?
wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:14 PM   #2

If the refill hole in the ink chamber isn't sealedproperlythe cartwill leak. It'sa good idea to let a refilled cart set withits exit port uncovered and elevated so that it'snot touching anything for 20 minutes after you finish - one of the reasons is totest forleaks.
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:01 PM   #3

thanks for the tip, will giv it a try
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4

Certainly sounds like it's not fully sealed, what did you seal it with?, I use re-fillable cartriges from InkJetGoodies which have rubber plugs for the fill holes, never had aproblem with them and I refill 2 different sets of cartridges at least twice a month.

http://redrockinnovations.com/Mercha...PTY+CARTRIDGES
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:39 PM   #5

yup, i can now attest to the fact that my cartridge wasn't sealed properly. I used adhesive tape (the type that electricians use) as recommended by the ink manufacturer but it didn't work. However, i did stop the leak by coating the refill hole with some glue and that did it. THanks for the help btw.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:10 PM   #6

If using tape of any kind to cover the refill hole, always make sure the area around the hole is quite clean -- no trace of ink at all, and ensure the tape lays perfectly flat.

Otherwise air WILL find its way into the tank, no matter what kind of tape you use.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:01 AM   #7

well, actually tat's wat i did, wiped the surface clean of any residual ink and then taped it over carefully (used 3 kinds of different adhesive tapes) and yet it still leaks. Anyway, solved the problem with some glue. Gonna get a CIS system soon anyway, so goodbye to troublesome refills eventhough it wasn't hard, but it can certainly get dirty very quickly! hehe.