Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

I seem to remember a report which compared photo quality printer, including overall ratings and cost per page the only problem is that I cant find it again . Any ideas Lola
lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:58 PM   #2

Maybe this: http://www4.tomshardware.com/consume...124/index.html
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:10 AM   #3

That one isn't really relevant today -- all those printers are superseded, I think.

Besides, Tom's testing methods leave a lot to be desired.

for instance, I could pull far better photo's off my old Epson Color 900 (both colour and B/W) than any they show -- and it's an office printer & a bit prehistoric (before the turn of the century yet...) without even proper drivers for Win XP (the drivers for the next model (Color 980) worked for me in XP up to SP1 -- installed SP2 and the Epson installer tells me I don't have a Color 980 (irrelevant, I knew that!) and won't work (I smell conspiracy here...)

There is a driver for the 900 in SP2, but it's very basic and not really up to photo work.

So the 900 is demoted to the back room computer and I have an Epson R310, which so far seems quite nice.

Haven't had it long enough to be able to recommend it or otherwise, though.

Cost per page is a relative thing -- what a tester gets and what you get may be entirely different, and the manufacturer's rating can be reduced by a factor of about 5 unless all you print is short text memo's.

For instance, I'm using a CIS with very low ink cost, and glossy photo paper that I buy in boxes of 100 A4 sheets for about 40c (Australian) a sheet.

If I used Epson's equivalent paper and their ink, an 8x10 enlargement would be costing me well over $2 just for the ink, and about another $1.20 for the paper, as against perhaps 45c or even less.

Haven't tried Epson paper on the R310, but on the Color 900 it was hard to tell them apart, except that the cheaper paper is a little thinner -- and the R310 prints look even better than those from the 900 (lab quality, in fact.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4

Idle wrote:
Quote:
For instance, I'm using a CIS with very low ink cost, and glossy photo paper that I buy in boxes of 100 A4 sheets for about 40c (Australian) a sheet.

.)
Can you give more detail on this paper,I may be able to get it here (NZ) I am running the R210 and JLW Cif system. Thanks.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:30 AM   #5

I bought it at OfficeWorks (Coles Myer office supplies chain) Richmond store, it's branded "ausinc" and is 150gsm.

Apart from the light weight, it's very good -- possibly from China & repacked here, as there's no country of origin on the package.

Contact address on the box is sales@austinc.com.au.

I'm getting well into the last of 3 boxes I bought some time ago, (looked up the credit card entry and it's over 2 years -- time flies!) so will have to go looking myself fairly soon.

The only reference to it I could find on Google just now is in Queensland (Inkjetrefills) and they're asking more than twice what I paid -- $47+ for 50 150gsm A4 sheets.

Whilst it mentions 'ausinc'as the brand in the listing, reading the full page I suspect it may well be Celcast -- a fairly expensive paper.

There is an "austinc.com.au" web page, but it looks to be dormant.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the detailed reply,post if you find a source at the right price,I will do the same.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote