Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:00 PM   #1

Is there an inkjet printer that will print a grayscale image using only black ink!!!I am interested in making positives for contact printing (photoetchings) and am having trouble finding an inkjet printer that will print grayscale image using only black ink. I got an epson r300 because it had a printer setting "black ink only" but this setting does not yield print using only black ink. I had a Canon printer that I could get to print with only black ink at low quality but had banding issues. I got this printer because I thought it would print better quality with only black ink but does not. I need the printer to use black ink only because different inks have different opacities to UV light. I have read others say that higher end epson printers do print with only black ink. The help desk at Epson told me that it is not possible to print a grayscale image with only black ink. Can this be true? Please help!!
grewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:17 PM   #2

The pigmented black is usually limited to 600 PPI. That gives good text and prints text quickly. So to get the higher resolutions most printers mix the colors to get grayscale. Photo black helps but it isn't good for the deep blacks, so I don't think there are printers that print with only the photo black.

My old HP 930 had a black only setting that actually printed only from the black cartridge. But grayscale images weren't very good quality with that setting.

I don't know of a printer that will give you high resolutions like 4800 or greater PPI for grayscale and print only from black cartridges. That doesn't mean they don't exist – it is hard to figure out exactly how they are generating black if you don't own one. Have you considered a laser printer?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:30 PM   #3

I believe laser printers use a more regularized screening structure not random like the inkjet.
grewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:15 PM   #4

Hello,

The printer i use is the HP Deskjet 5550.

It prints true grayscale photos (no color dots appear to my eyes)

To do this, when printing, i have to go to "Printer Preferences" Then to Color, and check the box next to "Grayscale" Please be aware, that the black cartridge is used VERY fast when printing in Grayscale, expecially at the highest Quality.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 4:20 AM   #5

Hi grewd.
Dunno if it helps, but I make PCB's (printed circuit boards), the way I do it I use toner transfer paper (Pree n' Peel), I print the design with a laser printer (I bought a el cheapo ML1510), after printing I fix it to the PCB nice and flat and iron away using a standard electric iron but try and avoid the steam irons because they have holes on the bottom plate and then immerse the board in copper etchent (I use ferric chloride), if you are interested I will tell you where to get the toner transfer paper from - may be helpful maybe not.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote