Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Dye Sub Versus Inkjet

I am new to digital photography but have a lot of experience on 35m SLR. I have just purchased my first digicam, an Olympus c5050.

I want to be able to print top quality photos up to 10 x 8 and would like to know the difference in quality between a Dye Sublimation printer (say a Kodak 8500 or Olympus P-400) and a top quality Inkjet printer like a Canon 900. I have read Steve's reviews of both types but only want to make a single investment and try to get it right first time. Leaving aside the cost of consumables quality is my main concern.

Any advice would be appreciated. :lol:
john.cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:26 AM   #2
lg

I can't speak to the quality of anything but an Epson C80 printer, and I am very pleased with it. As far as the differences between dye sub and inkjet, here are some things you need to consider:

- most inkjets use ink that will fade over a period of time when exposed to sunlight. There are some on the market (like the Epson C80) that advertise longevity of 75 years.

- as most inkjets are water-based dyes, one of their naturally occurring enemies is water.

- the cost of inkjet prints may be substantially more than that of some of the newer dye sub printers.

- most of the dye-sub printers I've seen output 4x6 prints. I haven't seen any that print up to 8x10, so my guess is that the ones that do cost lots of money.

I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:09 AM   #3

My inkjet printer is a HP 5550. It prints great pics for me. My Christmas present is a HiTi 630ps and it prints magnificant pics. The HiTi 630 can be purchased for $170 and the print cost is 40 cents per page. The prepackaged paper and dye ribbon sell for $20. The limitations are the 4X6 output and it can not handle pics over 5mp in size (that is what the manual says). I printed 4mp pics from my C4040 and had no problems. This limitation is with the 630ps model which can print directly from the CF or SM meida. The 630PL and 630PL+ require a computer and do not have mp limitations. Steve has a good review on the printer. I will still do most of my printing to the HP, but there are those pics I will want to use the HiTi 630.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks Guys for your help. It is much appreciated. It is 5.30pm here in Ireland so I am off home from work. I will look at any further replies tomorrow and respond.

Regards,

John :P
john.cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 2:29 AM   #5

Well as far as quality goes we all look to epson 960 or the epson 2200 but as far as speed goes check out the canon 900.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 9:15 AM   #6

I have the Olympus P-400 and all I can say is "IT IS AWESOME!!!" I love this printer, the photo quality prints are fantastic. I have an inkjet but the quality of prints is horrable.

If you willing to do some research and experimentation I know there are high quality inkjets out there but you have to get just the right paper to get the best quality. Also, they fade out over time.

On the otherhand you could get the P-400 and not have to worry about all that. Just print away, awesome prints everytime. It is slightly more expensive to print with than an inkjet though. But believe me it's worth it.
pdkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 9:16 AM   #7

Oh, by the way. If you bought the C-5050 there is a $250 rebate right now from Olympus on the P-400. I got mine at www.jandrmusic.com
pdkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:01 PM   #8

Thanks for your feedback on the Oly 400. Do you have any suggetions on where to find the best deals on paper and cartridges? THANKS!
my3ps is offline   Reply With Quote