Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

I just bought a Canon Pixma ip8500 and I am blown away. I will never buy Epson again. I've always used Epson. This printer prints the same speed in the highest quality as it dose on the lowest quality setting. Not like my Epson where the highest quality means it inches along....

I can't believe the speed and quality. It's even built well inside (checked it out becauxse of all the epson drainage problems)....

Anyone one question. What is the optical resolution of this printer?

it's listed as 4800x2400.

This means if I print at 2400dpi there is no resampling and resizing done at all correct? I just wanted to know the optical because previously i was printing at 1440 dpi the full resolution of my epson printer.

Cheers!
inkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:50 PM   #2

AFAIK you can only control how many PIXELS per inch you send the printer. Each pixel necessarily needs more than 1 printer DOT to represent its colour. 300 pixels per inch is normally plenty, which is just as well as there is a limit to how many real pixels most cameras can record. After 300 any upsampling either by Photoshop or by the printer driver isn't likely to make that much difference.I believe Qimage resamples to 600 PPI for Canon.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:32 PM   #3

I'm not printing photos, I'm printing very very fine text. I just want to know what resolution in my document will output the very best.

I set the photoshop document to 2400dpi and printed out on 1pt text "THIS IS A TEST LINE" on plain paper. It's actually legable with a lupe....

I realize what won't chnage much but I want the exact resolution that native to the printer. As I understand it the hardware handles the resampling...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4

An Example is if I create a 1200dpi document in photoshop from scratch and do this text test, and print it out (on epson's 1440dpi) printer it's not as good as recreating the same document at 1440dpi and printing again.

I just want to know what 4800x2400 means for my printer? Does it mean 2400 is the highest resolution it does?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:39 PM   #5

An Example is if I create a 1200dpi document in photoshop from scratch and do this text test, and print it out (on epson's 1440dpi) printer it's not as good as recreating the same document at 1440dpi and printing again.

I just want to know what 4800x2400 means for my printer? Does it mean 2400 is the highest resolution it does?