Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:36 AM   #1

Hi )
I just purchased a Canon iP4000R, to replace a i905D, and while mostly happy with it I find the prints to be over-saturated and have too high contrast (dark areas in the photos lose detail). I'm using:
- a Mac and the latest drivers.
- genuine Canon ink and papers.

The problem should be easily reproducable by other owners - just using Photo Print Plus with default settings produces prints that clearly have contrast/saturation issues.

After playing with settings over about 40 prints of the same photo, I have two sets that I think are better than the defaults:

- Color Correction set to None, Intensity set to -17.
- Color Correction set to BJ Standard, Brightness set to Light.

The first sometimes produces uneven gradients (e.g. regions of a sky are more sharply defined than they should be). The second still excessively darkens shadowed regions.

I had no such problems with my i905D.

Tom's review has sample pictures which show the ip4000 and ip2000 having higher saturation than (e.g.) the Epson R300 and canon ip5000 (particularly the purple parts):
http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...rinter-08.html

And this thread is related:
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...73&forum_id=40

Any help or suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated!
:angry:
mathboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:56 AM   #2

I thought I should add that printing directly with PictBridge from a Canon 300D produces photos that I think are too dark. Colour saturation looks OK though. :O
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3

Someone out there must have figured out ip4000 settings that closely match their calibrated monitor! Please share them

My current best effort is:
Color Correction set to BJ Standard, Brightness set to Light, black at -7 and intensity at -3 (everything else default).
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:28 AM   #4

It would seem to be a matter of taste. I don't find the prints to be overly saturated compared to normal photo prints. You get dramatic oversaturation by selecting "Vivid Photo" in Easy Photo Print. But without that selected there is only a very slight difference between using the utility and printing directly from Photoshop. I don't use any corrections for the printer and make all of my corrections in Photoshop.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the response slipe :-D
If you have the patience I have a few more questions...

Are you using a PC or a Mac (I'm wondering if there's a difference in output between the two drivers)?

Are the corrections you mention (in Photoshop) specifically for printing, or are they just the general touchups done before saving the photo? If they're only for printing, what sort of thing do you typically do? [I also print from Photoshop].

I'm pretty new to the whole digital photography thing, and just assumed that it was desirable to have the print looking as close as possible to what is shown on screen.
Old May 7, 2005, 5:48 AM   #6
djr

have you tried uninstalling the drivers then reinstalling them (making sure you are using the latest)?
djr is offline   Reply With Quote