Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 15, 2002, 10:57 AM   #1
TJ

Default New G2, Need New Printer

Purchased a new Canon G2(haven't received yet). Now I'm looking for a new photo ink jet printer. I'm considering the: Canon S900, S9000, and the S830D; Also considering the: HP 7350, 7550, and the HP mulit function 2210. The printer will be used for both printing digital pictures and text. I thought it would be nice to be able to print directly from the memory card with the computer in some instances. Can this be done with the S900 and S9000 via the USB cable? I have been told to stay away from multi-function printers for printing photos. Is this true? Also, are any rebates available for canon printers at this time?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:45 AM   #2

WEll if you dont mid spending the money for ink you could buy the the HP. BUt dont count out epson. IF I were you check out the epson 925. Very nice printer for the money. Not to mention gets a sharper image out of pictures done on the canon g2 then both of its competitors. And you can do 4x6 5x7 8x10 letter sized prints not to mention you can use roll paper which is much cheaper to buy. It can cut about 20 cents a page off your printing costs. Also you have more paper options with the epson.

Text tends to be its weakside if printed at the lowest quality. But it you bump it up one notch to text mode then it looks much better. This printer is designed to be able to print good text at the same time do great photos. At the lowest quality the desnity of the text is good but it has a little bit of hairy lines on the outside of the text.
IN contrast with the canon 900 which is slightly better on the hairy lines but your text density is weak.(meaning you can see white through it) But this printer probably prints faster photos than all of its competitors.

With the HP you have both the hairy lines and the weak desnity at the lowest quality. But if you bump it up a notch or two it looks much better. But the HP has more greeting card paper options than anyone else.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 4:42 PM   #3
TJ

Gregersonsalvage:

Thanks for the info. I only became aware of the epson 925 yesterday. I'll have to give this printer a closer look. Are the epson printers as quiet as the canons?

Do you have an opinion on the HP 2210 multi-function printer?

Thanks again!
TJ
Old Dec 16, 2002, 2:16 AM   #4

Yes the 925 is as quiet or better than the canon printers. Plus as I discovered today it uses a photo optimised black ink so your prints have a much better black detail to them not to mention better dark area details and your grays look gray not blue gray.

The 825 is not nearly as quiet plus its not as user friendly as I would call it. It does the same quality and speed as the 925 off the computer but off the card YOu can see a hyuge difference in speed.

Also I got to test drive the epson 960 a little bit today It prints great at an incredble speed. Very comparable to the canon in speed and still does a fantastic quality. Also when doing prints with canons own camera we noticed the epson looked better and had better earth tones and shadow details. We did these pictures with no adjustments done except for setting paper and quality settings.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 8:20 AM   #5
TJ

Default I have narrowed my choices

Gregersonsalvage:

You have been extremely helpful and I thank you! :lol:

I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon S830d(I like the memory card reader feature, the directe connect to the G2 & the optional preview window feature), Canon S900(I like the speed and print quality, but no memory card reader), Epson 925(I like the wide variety of paper that can be used, but is it truly a six ink printer?), and the Epson 960(I like for the same reasons as the 925, but it has no memory card reader, but it does use 6 different color ink tanks).

Which of these would you recommend and why?

Thanks again!
TJ
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:21 PM   #6

IF you really want the best prints at great speed go for the 960 it has a 2 picoliter droplet size and it prints 2880x1440 not to mention it zooms through the prints only slowing down on the front and the beginning . The 960 has been rated by several reviewers to be virtually indistinguishable from film printing.

If you dont care much about the speed the 925 does a similar print only lacking a tiny bit on the sharpness because it has a 4 picoliter drop instead of 2 picoliter. The card reader is overall easy to use. Plus you can do a ton of stuff just from the card. You can use all the paper types epson sells, you can adjust the sharpness,saturation,brightness, contrast, and you can crop it on the printer. It also has a cool feature that lets you select sets of photo prints at a time. IE 2 of number 7 4 of number 20. OR you can use your dpof feature on your camera and select which prints you want to do and insert your card into the printer then select paper size,type and quality.

Also as with any epson photo printer you can do borderless on 4x6,5x7,8x10,letter sized sheets.

The 830D is a decent printer. The features I like are probably the ability to do borderless on plain paper. prints fast off the PC. Uses a 4 picoliter droplet size.

It does print fast if you have a smaller res picture but if you have a high res picture its gonna take a while to proccess on the built in computer at high res.

The prints we make side by side here in the store show the epson to be the winner in the quality arena. Making rich blacks and solid skin tone details.