Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:51 PM   #1

..........I've only had it a few days.....my old breadbin had started printing off the side of the page(??!)...couldn't get it right again.

BUT- The iP4000 produces WONDERFUL pics!

I have been plagued by 'noisy'blue skies but the inbuilt NR system removes all that with 1 click and none of the blocking up of detail from propriatory NR software.

Also-the prints are actually GLOSSY! If you'd ever used an Epson c70 you'll know what I mean here.

Two problems though.....

1)I just can't seem to get the preview function to work,regardless of any combination of settings. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I must be missing something somewhere (WinXP sp2).

Also:like many others I have noticed that 'draft' plain paper text is pale black and not very fast at 'normal' setting either. The c70 was much better in this respect.

How have other users tackled this problem - do 'aftermarket inks' inks help? What is the difference between the 2 black cartridges?

No complaints with the photo quality however and it would be interesting to hear which settings you find give the best results.

I have had a quick trawl through previous posts but haven't found anyone with the preview problem.....Hope it isn't busted already!!

Yrs Flo

floricicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2

I had the same problem with the black draft text, as did some others. I suspect that the black ink in some of the cartridges they shipped was weak. I refilled my large black tank with pigmented black ink from MIS and the draft text was nice and black.

The odd thing is that I bought a replacement pigmented black cartridge for the iP4000 and the draft text is fine with it. There isn't much difference between what came in the Canon replacement cartridge and the ink I refill with. That leads me to believe that they shipped some with weak ink – maybe with the dye based photo ink rather than the pigmented ink that is supposed to come in the large black cartridge.

My print preview works fine. If you go File>Print and then Properties do you have all 6 tabs across the top with the last the Maintenance tab? It is possible that XP loaded the drivers and you got a second printer when you installed the driver. My old HP did that and I had to make sure the one with the full capabilities was selected as the default printer. Check Control Panel>Printers and Faxes to see that you don't have two Canon printers. If you do try selecting the one without the check mark as the default.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote