Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:05 PM   #1

Just when I was about to choose a Canon printer (iP5000), I read in the dpreview.com forumabout several new models that may arrive as early as this summer, all of them able to use a new "ChromaLife 100" ink formulational that is supposed to be "archival." None of the current models will be able to use this new ink, apparently, without at least changing the print head (don't know if upgrades will be offered or possible). I read aboutthem here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=13123643

There are new versions of all the current iP models except for the iP5000, and there is a new iP7100 with seven inks (6 + pigment black or ????). I find it interesting that none of the new models use 1 pL drops like the current iP5000. This suggests to me that (a) the 1 pL technology didn't work as well as they thought it would, or (b) it is not compatible with the new inks, or (c) new 1 pL models are coming at a still later date, quite possibly to obsolete the coming round of models. Opinions/guesses?

My quandry is, of course: Do I buy an ip5000 now or wait for an iP4100 later (or spend more money on, say, an iP7100)? It's my decision, naturally, but I'd lke to hear opinions. Should I be worried about fading with the current Canon (or third party) inks? I would really prefer to buy a Canon,not an Epson or an HP (no offense to owners of those).
Alen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:20 PM   #2

Where did you find any reference to a new printhead being needed? Don't forget that Canon tried to make it look like the Pixmas also had brand new head designs.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:53 PM   #3

>Where did you find any reference to a new printhead being needed?

It was speculation in another thread, IIRC, but compelling.There is also the mention in the auto-translated Japaneseweb pages of a "new * complete bidirectional printing system" with "ink nozzle...arranged left and right symmetrically." IF this describes a new head design, maybeit'sjust to get more speed and not because of the new inks. I would like to hope the new inks are compatible with current models, but who knows? Inkjetsseem to a black art.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

BTW, I was mistaken on the model number I mentioned. The iP7100 uses 6 inkswhile the model that uses7 inks is the ip8100 (I guess similar to the ip990, which wasnot marketed in North America?).

The Japan Canon sitealso lists aniP3100, iP4100, iP4100r, iP6100d, iP8600 and iP9910, whichI am guessing wouldreplacethe currentmodelsin North America at some point in time (rest of world to get yet other model numbers?).They don't list theip5000 or a newer version, but they do list the ip1500 and ip2000 models (which don'tappear to come withChromaLife 100 inks). None of the Japanese models use 1 pL droplets.

Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:45 AM   #5

I hope my hunch is right and it is worth waiting for the new Canon iP9910. From what I have read, it is the best of all printer worlds. Large format, fade resistant prints, great color, fast, etc. etc. I had ordered the new HP8750 as I just sold my Epson 1280:?. Never again will I own an Epson - very quick fading problems as well as continous clogging. I hope Steve does a review of the new Canon iP9910 as soon as it is available in the USA I don't print much b+w so not concerned about that. I love bright awesome fade resistant colors (I live in a high humidy area so fading is a big problem).
sherrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:23 AM   #6

Thanks to Alen K for that info, sure glad I did hang on. It would be interesting to learn if they cured the print scratching when loaded in the bottom tray as some people on various sites mentioned, another thing what delayed my purchase was the '3" overhang' of A4 paper when loaded in the bottom tray.

It is these two things what stopped my purchase of the ip4000/5000 machine. If these two items have been addressed I would be tempted to purchase one tomorrow (so to speak).
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:19 PM   #7

I do all of my photos from the iP4000 from the bottom tray and haven't had any scratching. I can't comment on the A4 problem as I use 8.5 X 11 paper, but that comes out borderless from the bottom tray and it fits fine. The tray does have an A4 setting and seems to have the required extra length. I have no idea what "overhang" they are referring to. The tray does stick out from the bottom of the printer, but it is covered by the opened front of the printer and you can't print without it open anyway. You never see the tray unless you close the front to add paper.

With pigmented inks you get more fade resistance with inks that won't go to 1 picolitre. I don't know whether that is the reason for not going to that size, but it might be a positive overall development.

I'm not getting another Canon photo printer until they lift the restriction on printing panoramas. 24 inches is OK for narrow format, but not for a wide format printer. Canon doesn't make panorama paper and evidently don't want you switching paper brands. I can rig my old S9000 to print panoramas, but Canon closed the loophole in subsequent printers. I'm looking at a R1800 with a CIS.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:44 PM   #8

Bear in mind I'mfar fromsure aboutthe ColorLife 100 inks needing a newprinthead, but somefurther "evidence" is thatthe only two models the Japanese Canon site lists that are also available here ("old" models?) don'tinclude the ColorLife 100 ink.

If you don't need a printer immediately, it might be a good idea to wait to see what shakes out. But if you do need a printer now, plenty ofpeople seem to be satisfied with theprint longevityon certain papers.
Old May 6, 2005, 3:54 PM   #9

The Japanese models of the current PIXMA printers arethe ip3100,ip4100,icp4100r and ip8600. If you look at the service manual for the ip4000 you will see you can change its model name to ip4100. it would appear the ip7100 and ip8100 are however new printer models(6 an 7 color respectively). I wouldn't expect the need for new print heads to use the new inks but I also don't expect the new inks to work with the ip5000 because of its 1pl nozzels. The 9910i may or maynot be a new model of the i9900. The 6100i and 6500i appear to be lower cost wide carriage printers(the case looks the same as the old i9100).

Acidtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 7:51 PM   #10

Is the ip5000 not aimed at the office environment, better at text and graphics with the added vertical resolution. As been mentioned, its interesting the ip5000 been dropped even without the Chromalife ink's, maybe it's not suitable for the 1pl nozzles. what is interesting is the 1pl heads don't appear in the higher priced models, after all a print with a 1pl head reduces the graininess - just seems odd that's all.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote