Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:06 AM   #1

From what I've read here, the 1 pL droplets don't get used unless you select Photo Paper Proin the print settings. So, several questions for iP5000 owners out there:

1) What other papers seem to work well and what other settings have you had to change to get good results?

2) How does the output look if you DON'T select PPP? Does the printer look like an iP4000 in this case (2 pL drops) or does it look different/worse? I ask because the iP5000 sell/spec sheet showsboth 5 pLand 1 pL holes in the printhead. How canit simulate a 2 pL printer without 2 pL holes? I imagine that usig only the 5 pL holes wouldn't look too good!
Alen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:16 PM   #2

Okay, I'm replying to my own post to push it back up in the queue. I was hoping for at least *one* reply. :-/

I just bought an ip5000 this weekend. I really like the idea of the higher resolution, allowing in theorymore shades of each color without resorting to light cyan and light magenta inks. (I needed a general purpose printer that would also be great on photos.) Now, I have heard (in this forum, IIRC)that the iP5000's famed 1-picolitre drop size is only activated when Canon Photo Pro Paper is selected along with a setting of 1 on the quality slidebar.

First, how was this detemined? Did someone ask Canon or is it documented somewhereI can easily refer to? A related question: If this is true of the iP5000, would it not also be true for the ip4000and its 2-pL drops? (Both printers also produce 5-pL drops.) Again, if not how did you find that out?

Second, assuming the info above about 1-pL activation is true, if I use a different (less expensive!) paper but continue to select Photo Paper Pro (in order to activate the 1-pL drops), what other settings have been found to be useful to compensate for the differences inspecific papers? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone at all? (I feel like that guy in the Orson Welle's radio broadcast of War of the Worlds. :-)

Alen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:46 PM   #3

I really can't answer your questions, but I do know the following:

I bought the 5000 in January. I used the canon paper enclosed. Marveled at the output. Used Kodak and HP papers I had left over after the canon paper ran out. Real dissapointment. Photos were actually bad.

Bought more canon paper. Now I am happy again and people at work do not believe that my prints were done at home.
dagored is offline   Reply With Quote