Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:46 AM   #11

I'm suprised you said an Epson R1800, it's a year behind technology. It's an R800 made in wide format. The Canon i9900 is an 8 Color (not 8 cartridges and really only 6 colors like the R1800), 2 pico litre droplet at 4800"x2400" dpi!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:26 AM   #12

Don't forget that buying your own photoprinter is not necessarily the same as going to a store for the print. The output medium is different.

Your photoprinter will be an inkjet printer, and you probably won't be able to show your prints to your grandchildren, (or even your children if you're young). The ones you hang on the wall will fade in months or less if unprotected, or a few yearsif under glass in a dimly-lit place with no direct sunlight in an unpolluted rural atmosphere.

The prints you get from the store will often be done photographically, on photo paper just as you get from film cameras. These will last a lot longer than inkjet prints, but not for ever. Grandchildren, maybe, but probably not great-grandchildren.

The lifetime and archive issue is a perennial in these forums, and you'll find lots about it if you use the 'search' facility.

Make sure you keep your digital images well backed up, and transfer them to each new storage medium as it comes along (much too often).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:46 AM   #13

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:roll: The Guy at Staples is eithet "stupid" or just a Canon hater! Canon has the lowest OEM brand ink in the market and produces the HIGHEST yield of prints with its seperate inks over any other brand in the market, especially over dye-sub. Sure some of the retail stores out there are putting 19 cents on their 4"x6" prints, but they are loosing money on this because they are trying to get people away from buying inkjet printers! When you ask the store how much they charge then for 5"x7" prints of 8.5"x11", then you'll see how they've inflated those to make up for cost. Several dollars for the 8.5"x11" when the inkjet will be about $1.15. The Canon inks are about $12 retail and I just found them online, genuine for about $6 each!!! Get this, in starting out with a full set of ink on my IP5000, and printing nothing but 4"x6" photos (4 and 5MP), before running out of one ink, I got 182 of them!!! I find out who that salesman is in that store and take my prints into him and put the STACK is his hand and ask him where the heck he gets his numbers from. Staples is at a disadvantage though, they don't have vendor reps like Best Buy and some of the other computer stores do. Before buying the Canon rep explained all about this to me, at a Best Buy store and he was right!
I don't know what this Staples guy was saying that could be considered stupid. You didn't even quote his numbers. I just bought two canons so I could hardly be called a canon hater. Yes, the cost per page is pretty damn low and the OEM ink costs there and abouts of $2000gal for the pigmented black, and there and abouts of $3000/gal for the colors, assuming 15ml at about $12/pop. The last time I worked out the math, the 8.5x11 could be as high as $3.00 a pop on the Canon inks. This is assuming you spend $12 on the 4 colors ($48), and each of those has estimated yield of 280 pages at 5%, which would be 14 pages at 100% yield or $3.43/page. Even at $6 that would be $1.71. Nothing is 100% yield so reality would be lower in price. By your numbers (182 4x6 @ $48 or $24) would be aprox 46 8.5x11 (ok 8 x 12 so rather than 8.5x11).

I know I can get 8x10 photographs for $2.00 on fridays, $3.00 on any other day. More than your real world estimate but less than my fantasy estimate. I haven't shopped around much for printshop images but hey.

But why not take the time to buy all three. A 8x10 photograph, a 8x10 dyesub, and something printed on your home canon, put all three by the window sill exposed to direct sunlight for about a month and see what happens. For best results cover each photograph by 1/2 a sheet of mat board. Chances are the Canon is going to fade much more quickly. I haven't taken the time to do this test scientifily but I accidently left something on a southern window sill done by the canon, dvd cover with faces, it didn't have any faces, or blues, and the reds faided to pink. This was after 4 weeks, but something else printed on my epson r200, while did fade to a degree, didn't totally wash out. I would highly reccomend you take the time to test your output for lightfastness against other available options and place a value on this. In all fairness to Canon, there are non-oem options for inks some claim higher resistance to faiding.

Also, the person who was talking about getting an r1800 likely picked it because the Epsons are using a pigmented in which tends to last longer than Canon's bci-6 ink which I believe are still being used on even the i9900. I have yet to see output from the pixus i9910 or the ip90 and I can't read japanese. Also the r800/r1800 are 1.5pl drops.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:06 AM   #14

:roll: I was just saying that the Staples employee was way off on his estimate and that the Staples worker must have been a Canon hater, lol It's difficult to see, with the naked eye, a difference between 1.5 pico litres and 2pl (on the Canon). The Canon does print at a higher dpi (4800x2400). Also, the new ink is coming and Canon's will quote 100 year archival quality. It's called the Chroma-Life100 BCI-7 series ink. From what I understand, the current printers will just take a quick firmware update to accept the new inks. And the new Canon printers this fall will all lay down a 1 pico litre droplet at 9600x2400 dpi!

Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:39 AM   #15

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:roll: I was just saying that the Staples employee was way off on his estimate and that the Staples worker must have been a Canon hater, lol It's difficult to see, with the naked eye, a difference between 1.5 pico litres and 2pl (on the Canon). The Canon does print at a higher dpi (4800x2400). Also, the new ink is coming and Canon's will quote 100 year archival quality. It's called the Chroma-Life100 BCI-7 series ink. From what I understand, the current printers will just take a quick firmware update to accept the new inks. And the new Canon printers this fall will all lay down a 1 pico litre droplet at 9600x2400 dpi!

What was this estimate, and why was it off.

And when on the new xp-64 drivers comming for the Canon anyway?

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:41 PM   #16

Well that to dam funney since you seem to hate anything that is not cannon I seen you in other forams bad mouthing the compatition why don't you just QUIT it.
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:39 AM   #17

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
It's difficult to see, with the naked eye, a difference between 1.5 pico litres and 2pl (on the Canon).
So, what's the point if you can't see the difference?
Quote:
Also, the new ink is coming and Canon's will quote 100 year archival quality. It's called the Chroma-Life100 BCI-7 series ink. From what I understand, the current printers will just take a quick firmware update to accept the new inks. And the new Canon printers this fall will all lay down a 1 pico litre droplet at 9600x2400 dpi!
'From what I understand' :roll:. Perhaps you could point us to a link on the Canon website that states that these promised new inks are a) as good as you say they are, and b) WILL work on current models.

Quote:
From http://the-internet-eye.com/a-B00005JAFC/Default.aspx
BCI-6 ink produces sharper more vivid colors and increases the light resistance of printed images. Canon has achieved a fade-resistant rating of approximately 25 years when printing on Canon's Photo Paper Pro specialty paper.
Yea, right - 25 years my a**.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:16 PM   #18

Hey Sparkee. What language are you speaking???
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:31 PM   #19

I have used and worked closely with Canon people for almost 6 years. Canon, using those seperate, clear-see through ink cartridges cost the LEAST when compared to Epson and HP. Epson's chip and HP chip on their catridge reports that the cartridges are empty when they're really not and rendering the cartridges "dead" until a new one is inserted. An then there's HP with tri-color inks, making you waste and throw away two colors when just one is really out. Also, using a Canon 6 color printer, I've consistently got between 150-200 4"x6" prints at 4MP before just replacing ONE, yes ONE cartridge! Now how is that for cost? It's amazing.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:07 PM   #20
JPL

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

From the Canon website: "(ChromaLife 100) results based on accelerated testing by Canon..." The results were NOT independently verified. Also, Canon claims up to 100 years when stored in dark storage and up to 30 years lightfastness when displayed in a glass frame.

http://www.wilheim-research.com has done independent testing for HP, Epson and Lexmarkprinters and their results showprint permanence ratingsthat are better than Canon for dye based inkjets. Pigment based prints were over 100 years when displayed in a glass frame and over 200 years when stored in dark storage.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote