Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1

I bought an Epson R200 a few months ago mainly for printing CD's and DVD's. After using it a bit, I found that it does a better job of printing photos than my HP 2410, as a result its become my main photo printer. I've seen a number of continuous ink supply systems for this printer with prices ranging from $50.00 on Ebay to over $300.00 at various sites. Since they all advertise a no-sponge cartridge, can anyone give me some advice as to what is the difference?

It seems like such overkill to spend hundreds of dollars on an inking system for a $60.00 printer, but are there factors that I may have not considered?

Thanks, Terry
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:15 PM   #2

Try reading this thread:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewt...sc&start=0

and this thread:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265796

FYI, I use the JLW CIS on my R300...I have not had any leakage or blockage problems with my cartridges. I use this printer primarily for photos & some CD printing.

But I do note what has been said about the lack of a valve system in the JLW carts(pages 24-26, 1st URL). When I purchased my CIS, JLWappeared to bethe best system for the money.Most people who have success with their system, do not post after installation. So the squeaky wheel syndrome. But still the lack of valve info hasalerted me.

I have read where someone combined the Ink storage bottles of the JLW with an Ink Republicspongeless cartridge set, on a high end Epson, to get the best of both worlds. Apparently, he felt that the JLW Bulk storage bottles were superior to any system he had seen at that time. I believe his modified, moderate cost,system is working well.

See:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11631563

and also

http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800

Until I have problems I'll continue to use my JLW CIS. In fact. I am about to refill with with MIS inks & reprofile my system.

Hope this is helpful
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, and the links, they were quite helpfull. It looks like people have been having good luck with even the less expensive cis systems out there. I think I will keep watching the posts out there since I'm not getting any low ink warnings yet, it seems everyone ships quickly so I can jump on something when my printer starts begging for ink.

Thanks ... Terry
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

I have been using JLW system for CD printing on the R200 for over 6 monthgs,not one problem,I can reconmend it. I have done lots of printing on it,have just started on my second lot of ink.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:17 AM   #5

I ran into trouble with mine -- also fitted the JLW system, although it came from another vendor.

It ran fine for a few weeks (I estimate it used about 25% of the supplied ink) then one day the cyan cartridge just stopped printing and no amount of fiddling (sucked ink through, cleaned contacts, reset everything in sight etc. etc.) would get it started again.

Finally proved to be a failed chip on the cartridge, which apparently had the printer regarding it as a 'ghost' device, so it continued happily printing -- just ignored all commands to print cyan.

Pulled the CIS, installed the OEM set that came with the printer and got a perfect nozzle check without even a head clean, so it certainly wasn't a printer problem.

When the CIS was removed, two of the cartridge valves promptly started leaking and couldn't be stopped except by pointing the valve orifice upward, so even if I get the offending cart replaced the set won't be going back in.

I'm currently looking very seriously at what's available out there, but it won't be another JLW set.

Might even look at changing the chips on an expired OEM set and attaching them to the JLW tanks and tubes which, except that the tubes could stand being a few inches longer, I do quite like.

I didn't really lose on the deal, for I'd used more than two OEM cartridge sets worth of ink, the CIS only cost a little more than the price of one, and I can still use the rest of the ink.

For those using the cheap Chinese sets -- enjoy them whilst they work OK, but don't take them out and expect to put them back again.

Re the difference in prices between various sets, the main difference seems to be the quality of the supplied dampers (cartridges), the ink provided (if any -- the sets around $US50 usually have none) -- the cheap Chinese ink is smelly and not very consistent from one batch to another and, (probably the major factor) the vendor's estimate of what the traffic will bear.

I haven't dismantled one (yet!) to find out what's in them, but some-one who has advises that the JLW cartridges just use a flap of springy plastic as a stop valve, which is easily damaged and leak-prone, whilst the OEM ones use a properly housed stop valve held shut by a corrosion-proof spring.

The OEM's are also compartmented to minimise surge from violent movement, but the cheapies are just a hollow shell.

I can say, from eyeballing the two, that the OEM outlet ports look much neater and better made.

Just my couple of (wordy) cents... :P
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

Idle wrote:
Quote:
I ran into trouble with mine -- also fitted the JLW system, although it came from another vendor.

I wonder if you actually have a genuine JLW system,I recently Emailed JLW to find out if they had agents selling their system inour part of the world,there answer was that the only source of their system was by direct contact with them,they also indicated that there were other systems closely resembling theirs on the market,
How about a photo of your system,I always like to be fair to any supplier and maybe it is not theres.

The comments you made are very relevant and state the facts,in fact I am not going to uninstall my system in case I run into similar problems, I have in the past been accused of advertising for JLW,but it is only my enthusiasm and personal experienceof their product that prompts me to post, and I suppose my pride wants me to think that I chose the right product !!!
Old May 2, 2005, 11:46 PM   #7

Not a problem!

I doubt JLW actually makes the system -- there are three or four outfits making them on the mainland and all the Ebay vendors seem to have one or other of them.

Besides, given that he's getting a lot of negative publicity from the cartridges in them, (not the rest of the set, mind, just the nasty cartridges) and that the ones he offers you as replacements for failed units seem much better, if he were assembling the sets himself he'd surely be using the better devices by now?
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 11:48 PM   #8

The actual set:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 11:49 PM   #9

Another view -- you can see where the cyan and yellow carts leaked when they were removed from the printer.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 1:57 AM   #10

Thanks for that,Your system is identical to the JLW system I purchased direct.Some of the other systems that I have seen have slightly different ink reservoirs,
I will not be dismounting mine (unless it Dies) as I said in a previous post I am into my first refill kit,everything ok so far.

I notice that your catch tank at the rear of your printer seems to have a lot of ink in it,you must do a lot of printing,I really must do this Mod to my printer NOW.

Thanks for going to the trouble to post those shots.