Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:21 PM   #1
TJ

Default Epson 925 or 960?

I have finally narrowed my choice of printers down to two models to compliment my new Canon G2. The Epson 925 and the Epson 960. The 960 appears to offer better resolution. Is this true? Which printer would be best suited as a combintation photo & text printer? The 925 has the memory card reader, the 960 doesn't. Is this a big deal? I guess what I'm asking is, which is a better printer for the money? Where would be the best/cheapest place to order these printers from?

Your opinions are very much welcomed!

Thanks!
TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:25 PM   #2

The 960
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/sear...ea2e3a7424a3bb

The 925
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/sear...ea2e3a7424a3bb
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:53 PM   #3

I can't see the advantage of having a built in card reader since you will no doubt want to store the photos on your computer and archive them one way or another. Also 99% of the time you will want to some basic editing before printing and this is much easier to do on your computer monitor than on the little (optional) LCD panel on the printer. If the printer with the reader is better or priced about the same, go for it. But I wouldn't pay extra for the card reader.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:00 AM   #4

I just checked the Epson site and noticed that the 925 has 5760X720 resolutin and the 960 has 2880X1440. I never use the 1440 on my printer since I see no differance between 1440 and 720. If you intend to print at 1440 dpi I would go for the 960. The 960 also has seperate ink tanks for each color which means when one color runs out you change just that color instead of all 6. I have found that most times the colors deplete at about the same rate, so it's a toss up.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5

I believe that the 960 is a significantly better photo printer than the 925 and probably produces better photo quality than any printer currently available, including the Epson 2200. Have a look at the review on dp-now.com of the 950, the European version.

If you want the best possible photo print quality, get the 960. If you want a card reader (and I agree with jbailey that I cannot see any point in having one unless you want to print away from the PC), get the 925. If you want a printer that is good at both text and photos, don't get either - have a look at the Canon i850 or the HP 5550 instead.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 9:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R
I believe that the 960 is a significantly better photo printer than the 925 and probably produces better photo quality than any printer currently available, including the Epson 2200. Have a look at the review on dp-now.com of the 950, the European version.

If you want the best possible photo print quality, get the 960. If you want a card reader (and I agree with jbailey that I cannot see any point in having one unless you want to print away from the PC), get the 925. If you want a printer that is good at both text and photos, don't get either - have a look at the Canon i850 or the HP 5550 instead.

Chris
It actually does do good dense uniform text you just have to bump up the quality a notch or opt up a little bit of money and get the epson premium bright white paper. Still prints cheaper than the HP. THe i850 has a decent quality to it but the colors are off due to the fact it really only uses 3 colors when it prints. The HP 5550 costs an arm and a leg to print photos with at a minium cost of .97 cents a 4x6.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote