Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:06 PM   #1

Default File format for printing on S900

I just bought a Canon S900 (which I really like) and use it to print photos that I ALWAYS open up in Abobe Photoshop where I color-correct/sharpen/crop them. Should I leave these images in RGB (camera) format or should I convert them to CMYK files for best quality printing? I am using a Canon S230 camera. So far my results have been pretty good, but occasionaly I get a print that looks really red compared to what I see on screen. My monitor (CRT) is pretty good for color and usually is pretty close to reality so I'm wondering if the printer is having trouble dealing with one or the other file formats.

Also, can I use Epson high quality photo media with my Canon printer and get comparable results as I'd get with the Canon media? Seems like Epson has a lot bigger selection of papers.

Appreciate any advice... BB
tat2top is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:14 PM   #2

For a good paper selection:
http://www.redriverpaper.com/
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 3:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for. These papers should work well with the S900?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 7:27 PM   #4

Yes you can use epson papers with your Canon. Careful with papers that are designed for HP printers since they tend to throw the colors way outa wack.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:18 AM   #5

BB,

To answer your original question, leave the files in RGB. I believe that CMYK is only used for output to certain commercial printers.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:56 AM   #6

Any ideas on the RBG vs. CMYK issue?

I've worked a lot with color laser printers in the graphics industry and for those you always have to convert to CMYK because the printer's conversion protocol is really poor. I wonder if the same is true for the CMYK desktop inkjets or if they are specifically tuned to convert RGB files to print well.

If nobody knows, I guess I'll have to perform some experiments myself with the two file types right off the camera.

BB
Old Dec 18, 2002, 4:07 PM   #7

Have you tried Canon Matte Photo Paper MP-101?
Its great.
Paul
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 3:42 AM   #8

All inkjets and dye sub printers require RGB data input. See this link (and the next one in the thread):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3973501

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:27 AM   #9

Thanks alot for the help! I guessed that was the case after I conducted a little experiment last night. Two side-by side images on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, one RGB and one CMYK. The RGB looked great but the CMYK image was very red/warm and oversaturated.

Appeciate the info ! BB