Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Canon900 & Ritz 4x6 photo paper

Finally convinced my wife all the time and money I've been spending has paid off. I'm doing the xmas picture card that we send each year. The picture actutally turned out great, but when tring to print the 4x6's using Ritz BIGPRINT 4X6 PRO GLOSSY 30/PACK (a steve's pick), during the last 1/2 inch the paper starts to go sideways making this ticking sound and puts a big white line on the print.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Other 4x6 paper seems to be OK. At least for now.
leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2002, 10:43 AM   #2
Administrator

I have noticed that with several non-Canon glossy papers, it isn't just 4x6", it's also 8.5x11" too. Especially bad when printing borderless as there is very little paper left in contact with the feed rollers. The problem is that the S900/S9000 was made to be used with Canon Photo Paper Pro and the rollers expect to find that paper surface. Other non-Canon brand glossy papers can often "skip" instead of feeding properly. And it isn't always consistent either. Trying various non-Canon paper it would sometimes feed OK and then 2 or 3 prints later it would make that nasty clicking sound and the paper would turn somewhat sideways and screw up the print.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:32 AM   #3

I just got a Canon S9000 for Christmas and I find it works
great with Epson Gloss Photo Paper.
This is the stuff you find at Costco for $20.00 for 100 sheets.

I have done several borderless 8.5 X 11 with this paper with NO problem.

In fact I cut a whole pack of this paper into 4X6 sheets and did
quite a few bordereless prints and they all came out great with
no smudging.

I admit the Canon gloss paper has a better feel to it and it
does have a nicer sheen, but for the difference in price the
Epson paper is well worth it.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:28 AM   #4

Default Traded down

Thanks for the comments. I didn't feel it was right for any paper to shift sideways. So while I still could I returned the S900 and went for the S820. I felt the $100 savings was worth it being a bit slower. I have printed serveral times using the same Ritz 4x6 and haven't had any problems with it shifting.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:52 PM   #5

Default How you like the S820

I'm thinking of that so wondering how you like it. Mostly how does it handle text printing. Stuff off the internet on regular low cost plain paper and good text on the more costly plain coated paper like Kodak or canon bright white paper.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:11 PM   #6

Sorry, I havn't tried much text printing on the canon S820 yet. I have a Brother laser mutifunction printer where I do text only plain paper printing. So far I have only used the canon for photos and I'm happy with the way it performs. Not much difference between the S820 and the S900 except speed and a small detail like it doesn't have the auto power on and off that I kind of miss.