Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 19, 2002, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Where, in Canada, to buy Epson 2200?

Iím already on a waiting list for over a month and nothing happens; looks like no stores can get it hereÖ
infotographe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2002, 10:58 PM   #2

Where in Canada are you? If you are in BC check out Frontier Computer at www.fronet.com

They can order it I'm sure as I asked about the Epson 2200 $1100ish and the Canon S9000 for $780 Canadian when I was narrowing my choices down a couple of weeks ago.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:35 PM   #3

So, did you get one recently from them or did you opted for Canon?

Iím in Quebec and I have already ordered one but it looks like no delivery is actually done by Epson to East Canadian resellers; waiting lists are only piling up!
infotographe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 5:09 PM   #4

I opted for the Canon S9000 over the Epson 2200. After asking in this forum, viewing Steve's and other review sites I felt the Canon would fit my needs.

1. the S9000 was reviewed as being very fast, which it is.

2. being faster I was a little concerned about the quality output however, when I made the first 6-8 prints (4 - 4x6s and 2 - 8x10s) I can tell you that the quality is better than the same prints I had developed at the local photo lab. The S9000 picked up the exact color of all the objects, the local lab did not...this has nothing to do with the 2200, just an observation

3. the S9000 is $300 Canadian cheaper than the Epson 2200.

Both are excellent choices. If the quality output for the 2200 is "that much better" then it must be one phenomenal printer because the S9000 displays amazing prints.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:20 AM   #5

Stand the prints side by side and you can see the difference cause the 2200 has been out of stock nearly everywhere since early fall for a reason. It is a phenomenal printer. 9000 is fast and it does print very good. But after a few trial runs on epsons latest set of printers I stil will stick to epson for my photo printing standard.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 1:07 PM   #6

All most people can do is order the printer they think suits them and try it out after the fact. Seeing examples from each paticular printer is tough as not many shops (atleast around here) have samples from every printer - especially in this class of printers.

As for comparing, I put the picture I printed out with the S9000 next to the actual subjects I took and the results were astonishing...and I saved $300 by getting the S9000 (which will pay for the replacement all ink tanks 3 times over).
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:41 PM   #7

Yeah the 300 more is not for everyone and if you choose to go with the canon its not a big loss unless you do black and whites or pictures with lots of shading and black areas.

Basically The way I'm trying to put it here is that the canon will look incredible till you put it side by side with the other. Then it still looks great but not as good. On certain things like bright areas of people they are equal but on other areas such as the darks the 2200 takes the trophy.

Pros still like thier canon 9000 for purpose of speed even though they have a 2200 sitting next to it. Still yet they will continue to use thier 2200 for the photos that the canon is weak at. Things with lots of black in them or stuff that needs to be archival.

Also for your canon 9000 you can use the epson color life paper and your prints will last 3 times longer. Just make sure you set your printer to its slowest setting otherwise it bubbles a little.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote