Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:01 PM   #1

Default PHOTO QUALITY PRINTER?? WHAT'S MY BEST BET?????

I am looking to buy a photo quality printer and I could use some advise. I have a canon g2 and hp officejet v40. I am afraid my printer just dosen't cut it. Most of my shots are of my family and I do want to be able to print excellent quality at 8x10. Most will, however, be 4x6 . I don't want buy a photo printer only be unhappy about the quality. I have heard good things about the Epson 925, Epson 785EPX, CanonS900, and HP Photosmart 7350. My considerations are: photo color sharpness,blurring, proper contrast & brightness along with cost of ink cartridges & paper,etc. Is it worth spending the money on a photo printer along with incurring the cost of ink and paper vs sending the pics out for processing. Are there printers out there that can duplicate professional quality that are affordable(less than $400 or so) ? I have sent photos to be processed by dotphoto.com but was not thrilled with the process. Bottom Line..Can I produce good quality photos at home? What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help,
Ray
hoppyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:11 AM   #2

All I can say is Epson 960. I've been playing with this printer the last couple of days and I'm very impressed. I rarely print more than 1440dpi because it looks that good. Not to mention this is a speedy printer on photos. Colors are very accurate very clear. No distinguishing difference between what this thing does and film.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 6:55 AM   #3

If 4X6 print outputs will suffice, the HiTi 630pl will print a high quality photo that is compariable to a photo lab. The printer paper and ink supplies are bundle in a kit that cost $20 for package of 50 sheets, cost 40 cents per print.

The Hp photo 5550 is the same printer as the 7350 but without the ability to print directly from the media. It is capable of six color printing by adding the HP6658 photo cartridge in lieu of the HP6656 black cartridge. The cost per print will run higher than the Epson or Cannon printers. You can overcome the cost by refilling your own cartridges. If you are not willing to refill your own cartridges I would go with the Epson or Cannon S900.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 9:44 PM   #4

Ray:

I have owned about 4 Epson printers and have always liked their quality. I presently have a 785EPX. The quality is excellent and I can stick my CF card into the printer without using my computer - also will print an index of thumbprints directly from the card which is nice to review your photos before printing.

I print all my photos. I found myself wasting time, and with Photoshop, Photoshop elements, and programs like Photosuite you can increase the quality. If you don't like your photos you don't print them - you can't do that if you send them to a shop.

Costco sells a lot of printers. I bought mine there for around 130. They also sell Epson glossy photo paper at 20.00 for a hundred sheets. They also take anything back at anytime,without question ... and I mean anything!

Good luck.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote