Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 17, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1

I like the fact that the 4000 has the extra black cartridge for text as I will be doing text as well as photo printing . My wife is really sold on the LCD option of the 6000 though as she does not want to have to use the pc for printing photos.

I read that I will be blowing through black cartridges a lot on the 6000. realistically what does this amount to ? A cartridge a week? month? For those that are using the 6000 for text as well as photo what is your impression of text printing on this model?
billm57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 12:33 PM   #2

The iP6000 is a dedicated photo printer, takes longer to print text.

The iP4000 is a Text/Photo printer, that is why it has the BCI-3ebk pigmented ink cartridge, it holds a lot more ink than the BCI-6bk.
The iP4000 only uses the pigmented ink when plain paper is selected as the print medium.
If you select any other medium (e.g. photo paper, high resolution) the printer will use the four color cartridges to print graphics and text.

The iP6000 will use the BCI-6bk any time you print.

As for the screen on the iP6000 you don't need it if your camera is picture bridge compatible, it will use your camera's screen to preview your pictures.
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:08 PM   #3

i understand the differences between the two.printers...i am asking someone who owns a 6000 they can tell me what thier average black ink consumption is when printing text and how they feel the quality is on text..

ido not own a camera that has pict bridge capabilities BTW..
Old May 17, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

just read this about the 4000 in another review..can anyone confirm this??

BLACK INK: Canon's advised me that unless in Draft Quality mode (the only mode in which the black text ink cartridge is solely used), a small percentage of cyan and magenta ink will be used (for high-density/high-quality black text or photo-realistic quality images).

Old May 18, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

billem57
Sounds a little odd don't you think, did you speak to customer services or the 'tech' department?

I would have imagined the black pigment ink is only used when 'plain paper' is selected whether you are in draft or not.
The other colours are obviously used when the 'printing media' is selected to glossy or what have you - sounds more realistic to me, or during cleaning cycles.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:51 PM   #6

it does sound odd but Canon Tech Support confirmed it...

bottom line I think I am staying with the 6000..i dont do a ton of text printing and the text print I have seen come off it looks fine to me. COmpared to my old HP 940 C thsi is fine

I just like the looks of the 6000 over the 4000 as well (not that that is a huge selling point to me)