Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2005, 2:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12
Default

Whats the difference between the Canon i950 and i960? Im looking for a printer, and this one seems to best fit my economical needs with its seperate ink cartridges and such. Also, if there are any other better printers with this similar multi tank system, please let me know.
Grudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 208
Default

Dunno....!

Wonder have you had a look at photo-i, I think they do a review on one of them, typing the make and model in Google not help?

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 195
Default

:blah: The DPI has doubled on the Canon i960. Both have the small 2pl droplet. Also, BOTH of them are out-dated now. The Canon ip8500 replaces both, it's the top of the line 8 color printer now, with a full duplexer built in for double sided printing.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:blah: The DPI has doubled on the Canon i960. Both have the small 2pl droplet. Also, BOTH of them are out-dated now. The Canon ip8500 replaces both, it's the top of the line 8 color printer now, with a full duplexer built in for double sided printing.
Why do you need duplexing on a photo printer, esp one that doesn't offer the bci-3bk? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for lowering costs by taking the same basic print engine and slapping on some extras but I can't see the duplexer as being a selling point on the ip8500. Now the ip5000 I can totally see this. Come to think about it, I see the 4x6 adapter on the i960 being much more useful than even dual paper paths unless you want your 70lb photo paper to make a u-turn to print.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 195
Default

Most people don't know this, but Canon has already released double-sided photo paper on many of their printing surfaces, (matte, glossy plus, ect). The duplexer in the ip8500 will automatically take the photo paper as well as print on the 2nd side. Canon sells complete photo albums with double-sided paper and an actual album with clear plastic sheets to put the photos in after they're done. Yes you could just flip the paper over after one side is printed, but the duplexer is used to do this automatically, and so is not just for text printing. :?
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Most people don't know this, but Canon has already released double-sided photo paper on many of their printing surfaces, (matte, glossy plus, ect). The duplexer in the ip8500 will automatically take the photo paper as well as print on the 2nd side. Canon sells complete photo albums with double-sided paper and an actual album with clear plastic sheets to put the photos in after they're done. Yes you could just flip the paper over after one side is printed, but the duplexer is used to do this automatically, and so is not just for text printing. :?
Yes, and your nice 50lb to 70lb photo paper gets a curve in it, not to speak of the timer which you would think would take into account the greater dry time required for photo paper and not suck it back in still wet and soiling the rollers.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 195
Default

:idea: Not sure what you're speaking of but the Canon Glossy Photo Paper Plus doubled sided is dry as soon as it prints. I've used this paper for 4 years (the GP-101) paper and the doubled sided is the same surface, just doubled sided. Until Canon put the watermark on the Photo paper pro, you could print on both sides and the other side would make a satin finish, similiar to the epson luster.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:idea: Not sure what you're speaking of but the Canon Glossy Photo Paper Plus doubled sided is dry as soon as it prints. I've used this paper for 4 years (the GP-101) paper and the doubled sided is the same surface, just doubled sided. Until Canon put the watermark on the Photo paper pro, you could print on both sides and the other side would make a satin finish, similiar to the epson luster.
Actually i'm speaking of the Canon Glossy Plus paper, lol. I normally wouldn't buy the stuff but I got a batch load free. I tend to put my name on the back of my images. Needless to say the result was a distorted image, inked rollers, and a paper jam.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 195
Default

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:idea: Not sure what you're speaking of but the Canon Glossy Photo Paper Plus doubled sided is dry as soon as it prints. I've used this paper for 4 years (the GP-101) paper and the doubled sided is the same surface, just doubled sided. Until Canon put the watermark on the Photo paper pro, you could print on both sides and the other side would make a satin finish, similiar to the epson luster.
Actually i'm speaking of the Canon Glossy Plus paper, lol. I normally wouldn't buy the stuff but I got a batch load free. I tend to put my name on the back of my images. Needless to say the result was a distorted image, inked rollers, and a paper jam.
The new 5"x7" and 8.5"x11" Glossy Plus doublesided comes out dry and has stands that fold out so the paper can be set and let air circulate on both sides to completely dry before putting into an album (don't get me wrong, the paper is dry and to the fingers, the ink does not smear), but the manufacturer is referring to do this before placing it in an album. I just did my second Wedding last week (being the photographer), and using the machine that automatically does the two sided printing automatically, really helped me get the couple's preview album done FAST! I used the Canon PhotoRecord software, put 4 pictures on a page (8 pictures for a full two sided sheet of PhotoPlus Glossy Paper), turned out great! I was printing over 240 pictures, but I was done in a couple hours flat.


iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:37 AM.