Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 27, 2002, 2:44 PM   #1
joe

Default Quality question

I've had my S9000 for several months now and have been extremely happy with the print quality until now. I've printed approximately 90 pictures and they have been extremely sharp. They were all taken with a Minolta Di7 in the fine mode and I'm using Canon's photo paper pro. I'm using Photoshop 7.0 to format my pictures and I have to admit, I'm really a novice with the Photoshop program and the camera but I'm currently doing everything the same as I did for the first 90 pictures. Today after not printing for approximately 3 weeks I noticed my pictures were somewhat "grainy", especially throughout the shadow areas. I've realigned the print head and cleaned it with no change in picture quality. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong or what I might try to get this great printer back to printing sharp photos again? Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:35 AM   #2

Hmmm. Are you using jpeg pictures that have been edited and resaved.

I know the canon tends to lack just a tad on the shaded black areas. I think the grainy texture you are seeing could also be your eyes tricking you into seeing the digital image color changes. Ask someone else to look at it also compare your prints to previous prints. IF indeed they are grainy due to fualt of the printer I would give canon a call and they can probably do an instant exchange for ya or send you a new printhead. The printheads are supposed to last between 750-1000 Full letter sheets before a slightly noticeable banding starts to occur. The grainyness could also be caused by the fact you have exceptional eyes and are among the few that actually have the ability to distinguish the 4 picoliter droplet since the human eye is supposed to be able to see to barely 3 picoliters and the canon is a 4 picoliter drop printer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:52 AM   #3
joe

Thanks for the reply Greg,
Everyone who looked at the pictures say that the current pictures are very grainy compared to the earlier taken photos. I called Canon and the tech took me through a couple cleanings and nozzle checks and what happened was the printer suddenly showed a bad nozzle check on the bottom right light red color bar. I started out with 14 missing blocks and I'm now down to 6 but the pictures are still grainy, through not quite as bad. I was getting a perfect nozzle check prior to calling Canon so Ole Man Murphy just decided to pay me a visit this morning I guess. The tech said it's probably due to my use of third party ink. I don't think that's the reason as I got good pictures after the change over of one tank and the graininess started shortly after changing the second tank (both photo color tanks). Looks like I'll have to try cannon inks all the way around and see if the problem clears up; unless someone has a better solution I could try or one that's not as expensive.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 3:52 PM   #4

Yeah third party inks can cause clogs and quality issues. YOu have to be careful about which inks you choose for your printer cause most third party inks are not the same as oem spec therfore tend to get you different colors and quality results. Also never tell the techs at canon you are using third party inks or they may not support you.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote