Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 23, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

Hello all-

I've been doing a lot of web reading about photo inkjets and have narrowed it down to two printers: Canon iP5000 (EU model) and Epson Photo Stylus R800.

From what I understand, the Canon is 1pl but only 4 colors and the Epson is 1.5pl but 6 colors. Which one, based upon those specs, are going to provide me with the best picture? Also, does Canon make pigment-based inks and quality archival photo paper? I know Epson does but they are more expensive it terms of supplies.

Lastly, I could have sworn I read something somewhere saying the Epson ink carts cannot be replaced one at a time but have to be replaced as a set. That true based upon anyone's experience?

Thanks in advance.
WildmanCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 1:41 PM   #2

WildmanCAL wrote:
Quote:
Hello all-

I've been doing a lot of web reading about photo inkjets and have narrowed it down to two printers: Canon iP5000 (EU model) and Epson Photo Stylus R800.

From what I understand, the Canon is 1pl but only 4 colors and the Epson is 1.5pl but 6 colors. Which one, based upon those specs, are going to provide me with the best picture? Also, does Canon make pigment-based inks and quality archival photo paper? I know Epson does but they are more expensive it terms of supplies.

Lastly, I could have sworn I read something somewhere saying the Epson ink carts cannot be replaced one at a time but have to be replaced as a set. That true based upon anyone's experience?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...229/index.html
Tom's hardware guide has a soso review on the r800 vs the canon ip8500 and hp 8450.

Keep in mind my personal experience is with the r200, which is the consumer grade not designed to take pigmented ink (Ultra Chrome) ink officaly. Because pigmented inks are very flat on glossy paper they added a gloss optimizer, so you don't have to spray your paper with shallaque. Also it offers 8 color, not 6 color printing. Cyan, Magenta, yellow, photo black, flat black, red, blue, and clear. No light cyan or light magenta.

Regarding replacing carts as a set... I suspect someone means if you replace one cart it purges them all, and boy does it purge! Based my r200 experience, I could buy 12 oz of ink and about 4 of them ended up in my waste cup (starbucks cup). This is likely a worst case scenero as I had a clogged print head and purged much. Replacing one cart would be a waste of money as chances are it would purge and make the others empty. Given the cost of the UltraChrome inks... every ml is like gold. Other printers are not nearly so wasteful. The CSS utility can help to a degree. You can choose to purge the black or color.

Generally speaking I like the output of the Epsons. I don't like the fact that they clog when you look at them funny, and you can not easily remove the printhead for cleaning/replacement. Given the r800 uses pigmented inks, it's even more prone to clog than it's ink brothers.

The IP5000 I haven't considered. Sure it has the 1pl printhead, but no light cyan/magenta like the IP4000. It seems almost silly to have such a high end printer without extra colors. Personaly, i'd rather own the IP4000 with it's 2pl head but greater color range.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:29 AM   #3

Have you had a look at photo-i some picture comparisons there pitted against other higher end printers.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4

I would say you are comparing the wrong printers. You should be looking at the Canon 8500. That has 8 colors and a wider color gamut than the 5000. The 5000 has nice color reproduction, but can't compare to the 8500. The 5000 on the other hand is a better general use printer because it is faster for text and has pigmented black ink for text.

Also, zakezuke, you might be refering to the wrong printer. Last I looked, the 4000 and the 5000 had the same ink set. The 6000 has the light cyan and light magenta. The main difference between the 4000 and 5000 is the addition of 1 pcl droplets and a higher resolution. Some have noted that the higher resolution makes the light inks unnecessary. The light inks do not expand color range, they only improve the continous tone effect as does the 1 pcl droplet size. If you want expanded color range you need to go to an 8 color printer like the 8500 or the Epson R800.

H

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:30 AM   #5

As it turns out, I ended up purchasing the 8500. I'm very happy with the quality of pictures it prints.

Now...to hack it so I can print on CDs. :-)
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6

Good choice! How fast and what is the quality of text printing? I chose the 5000 because it is supposedly faster and better at text and still very decent quality photo's. I would like the improved color gamut though of the 8500...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:44 PM   #7

Davy say's
The ip5000 and the ip4000 uses the same ink tanks....
If he goes to the Canon website he ought to be able to select a couple of printers and order a couple of print samples.

I have some identical photo samples from the ip4000 and ip5000, the 5000 has clearly more definition, the colouring, contrast and brightness was exactly the same.

Also the ip5000 has less banding and much better at graphics.

Quote:
zakezuke

The IP5000 I haven't considered. Sure it has the 1pl printhead, but no light cyan/magenta like the IP4000. It seems almost silly to have such a high end printer without extra colors. Personaly, i'd rather own the IP4000 with it's 2pl head but greater color range.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:17 PM   #8

Yes, I stand corrected. Been suffering model number overload :?
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 3:34 PM   #9

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
Good choice! How fast and what is the quality of text printing? I chose the 5000 because it is supposedly faster and better at text and still very decent quality photo's. I would like the improved color gamut though of the 8500...

H
Print quality is very good and the speed seems to be fast. Printing a one page Word (my resume) took about 10 seconds. I have a laser printer as well and use that for anything with text but after printing on the 8500, I may think twice next time.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:35 PM   #10

Oooops sorry...... another blunder by Davy