Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2005, 6:08 AM   #1

There seems to be a little confusion between that the ip5000 is one step behind the ip4000, I wonder where that came from?

If you look at some of the print samples the ip5000 appears to be a little touch lighter on the odd print, even on one print sample from Canon. I have a couple identical prints, one done on the ip4000 with PR101 paper and the other done on PP101 with the ip5000. The colours, brightness and contrast all seem to be the same to me, but the one done on ip5000 with the PP101 paper certainly offers better resolution showing finer details.

The statement 'the ip5000 is one step lower in photo quality than the ip4000' came from a review in PC Mag, one contributer to this forum pointed out that 'best' setting had not been used and that the clue is in the time it takes to print the 8 x 10.

I quote from PC Mag Review on the ip5000
"On our business-applications suite, the iP5000 almost matched the record-holding iP4000, with a total time of 16 minutes 9 seconds, a difference of just 21 seconds spread out over 13 tests. On our photo suite, however, it was significantly slower, averaging about 1 minute longer for both 4- by 6-inch photos, at 2:06 each, and 8- by 10-inch photos, at 3:38 each", UNQUOTE.

Has the statement the ip5000 is one step lower than the ip4000 in photo quality really 'stuck'? Steve Digicams nor photo-i appears want to do a side by side comparison for some reason (anything to do with Canon by any chance)?

Its so hard to believe the statement whilst the ip5000 offers better resolution. Is the ip5000 really a 'test bed' printer for the 1pl heads, one would have imagined them to be used in the higher end printers, why stop at the ip5000?

Canon Japan site appears to show new models ie, ip3100, ip4100 etc, no ip5000 nor ip51000 strange? According to Canon no new models are about to hit the market.

A reply from Canon
Unfortunately each Canon region operates as a seperate business unit and as such has a completely different product range for each region. In addition model numbers different from region to region.

The IP5000 is still a current model for Canon Europe, and as such remains available through retailers.

Davy

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 8:32 PM   #2

I have the IP500 and it's detail and color is excellent, superior to the 4000.

The CNET/PC mag review of the IP500 is just wrong, and their reviews generally are unreliable IMO.

The 5000 does print a bit light on default settings, and needs intensity turned up manually in print settings +10.

Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 4:51 AM   #3

Hi Tucker,
Thanks for info, had a peek on Kodak web site the other day and noted that they have programmes you can install to set various brands of printers so that they adjust and print on their papers - thought I'd just mention, I don't know if this is of any value to anyone.

Davy
Old May 28, 2005, 3:45 PM   #4

Tucker, have you had a chance yet to compare prints from the ip5000 (with the intensity turned up manually in print settings +10) with those from the ip6000 or i960?

Also, there is a significant price difference between the i960 and ip6000, with the i960 around $100 less. Why do you believe the i960 is superior to the ip6000?

Thanks, Jeff.
lawyerboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:22 PM   #5

I have read somewhere that the i960 is better than the ip8600 because its ink dots was more noticeable giving the affect of graininess. I stand to be corrected here.

Davy