Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Canon S9000 Owners & users

I don't want to hear from Epson, HP or any other printer owners just from Canon S9000 users. I have Epson 640 for over 6 years but it's acting up so i'm moving on. I like a lot of what Canon offers in this printer, Their print drivers sound impressive, the optical ink level checker sounds like it's better than Epson cart chip (never will refill a cart so forget that), The speed i hear can't be matched, Heads that can be changed by user and not a techinican really must be $$ & time saver. Cons i keep reading is this printer drinks ink like booze to a drunken sailor. Only Canon paper can be used becasue all other brands produce less quilty out put. Is the one paper feed good enough for all thickness papers? This will be primary printer when Epson dies so will it do text on plane paper. Now when talking plain paper i'm not meaning Kodak bright white 108+brightness or Canon brilliant white paper I'm talking the cheaper real plain paper which is about $2- $3 packs used for every day printing. I have found that these Kodak and Canon papers do put out very good text when it counts like reports and such. This printer carrys a big price tag $430 i've seen so would would really like input from users.

thanks
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2002, 9:26 AM   #2

Default more on special paper

I haven't see canon making a lot of paper choices for special sizes so how does S9000 do on Avery papers & Labels, other companys papers like red river style papers and kodak phtot paper and card stocks. I have several different card stocks made by different companys like Kodak, Avery, red river, Southworth,.ect. Has anyone tried this printer with window decal, iron on & magnet papers, mostly i use Xerox since it was on sale for that.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 1:32 AM   #3

I have had the S9000 for a couple of weeks and have made about 8 - 4x6, and 3 - 8x10 all on Canon Pro Paper. Quality is fantastic and I'm very happy with the results. I have yet to test the Epson 5x7 glossy and Kodak 11x17 glossy paper I purchased. If I get a photo worthy of the 11x17 size I'll let you know how it turns out, very possible tomorrow as I am working on my portfolio.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:01 AM   #4

First of all, to correct some misconceptions: Canon printers do not drink ink unless you print low volumes and turn them on and off a lot between prints. Canon printers work well with non-Canon papers (e.g. Epson, Office Depot, Red River and Ilford) but badly with some Kodak and most HP papers.

I don't think that many owners use their S9000 for text printer - almost everybody will use them as dedicated photo printers and have another printer for text (as I do). I think that this is the reason that you haven't had any replies from S9000 owners about text printing.

Most 4 colour printers use dye based inks for colours and pigment ink for black, because pigment inks give the better text quality and longer life. All six colour photo printers (except the all pigment Epson 2200) use dye black, and therefore produce slightly worse text quality. They certainly all appear to be slower on text than 4 colour printers.

I would expect a Canon S9000 to give worse output than your Epson 640 on plain paper, labels, decals, etc. Consider getting a separate text printer when your Epson 640 dies.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:49 AM   #5

Default i think it did

i think my epson 640 did die last night. All the lights are lite with the paper light flashing and it make a sick noise when turned on. Kind of like the belt is grinding or slipping.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:32 PM   #6

Try cleaning the cardtridge postion sensor. It is a plastic strip that the cartridge goes along.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:26 AM   #7

Default What is that

THis is the 640 and has a belt, don't know what a cartridge sensor is.