Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 27, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

Has anyone herd that canon may release a canon printer with the cd/dvd printing feature in the US? I have been reading the post about makeing it work with current modles. but will wait and see if they release the model in the United Stated. Lets hope!

gean :?

gean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2

Why bother waiting.
The current printers have awesome print quality.
The "modification" to make the current printers, do not harm the printers or "void" the warranty, and I think the Canon CDR trays will probally be on ebay soon...

PLUS
ink carts are easily refillable, and cheap otherwise
the pricing is fantastic!!
Rebates are valid until end of month.
upto 50 bux off!

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:14 PM   #3

As you say plenty of fixes for this being discussed.

Just for an idea how about getting a UK version and fitting a US PSU (power supply unit - these are usually modual in form with plug connectors). The other alternative is to use a voltage converter or auto-transformer, we're not talking big wattage here, I guess about 30 Watts @ 240v down to 120v a/c but do check with the printer.

I'm pretty sure this options as also been mentioned in this forum.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

As for purchasing a UK unit with CDR tray enclosed "complete"

Seriously
you need to
1, deal with the power supply
2, deal the the ADDITIONAL COST of the UK model VS the US model.

USA has WAY better prices for electronic goods, and NO VAT, shipping is way cheaper in the USA.

Expansys is a UK/US dealer for example wants 229.00 for the UK version of the IP4000.
I purchased my IP4000 Pixma for 107 out the door.
PLUS
I get the 20.00 rebate and 30.00 more for a combo digital camera purchase... making it cheap.

let's recap IP4000 cost difference
UK model
$229.00 plus 20 (shipping) = 249.00
US model
107 - 20 - 30 = 37.00
CDR printing mod: cost = 0

CDR tray
home made 5 bux
purchased on ebay about 30 bux (guessing)

Add it up... with the MOD you are way ahead.

The mod is this:
enter service mode.
reprogram the baby via pushing buttons up front.
remove plastic barrier on inner CDR input tray
make/buy CDR tray.
DONE!

My tray is on order, and I will have a few available for sale.
Original Canon Trays.
vuong.pham@ gmail.com
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:44 AM   #5

What about the driver's?
I understand you have to download the UK ones (or any other that allows CD printing) as the US are different, I think this is mentioned in the other post.

Davy
Old May 28, 2005, 2:23 PM   #6

davy wrote:
Quote:
What about the driver's?
I understand you have to download the UK ones (or any other that allows CD printing) as the US are different, I think this is mentioned in the other post.

Davy
One really needs to take the time to document the procedure above and beyond the 20+ page thread. I've owned my US model for 24hours, and went from having to clue to printing on CDs in about 4. Most of that time was trying to find the offical CD printing software and the key presses to set the printer to CDR support, as well as hacking an Epson tray to fit, and getting annoyed that the diagram showing the reflector location was bogus!

You'll have to check with someone else whether the US drivers list CD printing or not if the printer's destination is set to not US or Japan. I went with the HK drivers and the CH website for the offical CD printing software. Don't have the HK link handy so i'll use the UK one.

You may wish to set the destination of your printer to not US before you install the not US drivers.

>CD printing software<
http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/dri...ctID3=00000227
>UK drivers<
http://software.canon-europe.com/Pri...P300010094.asp

Service mode
1. Make sure printer is off and is plugged in
2. hold down resume (Triangle pointed down) hold down power and wait.
3. Release Resume but Continue to hold power. Double click resume. Release power.
4. Check to see you are in service mode by clicking resume, than power. This should cause the printer to print a simple diagnostic that'll list it's rom number and list CDR SENSOR=OK in red for the last line, whether the printer is set to US or not. pressing resume twice will print the rom info.
5. Click the resume 5 times then click power. This is the Destination setting option. [orange]
6. Pick a destination. Press resume this many times to pick one. Press power to make the choice.
a. 1 times IP4100 Japan
b. 2 times Not Japan no CD-r support a4 paper
c. 3 times Not Japan No CD-R support letter paper
d. 4 times Not Japan CD-R support a4 paper
e. 5 times Not Japan CD-R support letter paper
f. 6 times you wish to abort and get back to the first menu

If you have already installed the driver while the printer was in no CD-r support mode, you'll have to regedit the CnmFSI-CDRSWITCH and set the value to 1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Pr int\Printers\Canon PIXMA iP[whatever]\PrinterDriverData

While I am printing CDs... either the epson tray is too slick to be sucked into the printer or it needs rollers.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:02 AM   #7

zakezuke
Never ever thought of that, very good point you raised.

Looks like I had the eaiser idea after all.
Old May 30, 2005, 4:38 AM   #8

davy wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke
Never ever thought of that, very good point you raised.

Looks like I had the eaiser idea after all.
Easier buying the UK or Asian model? No doubt! But how much are the UK/Asian models? I just bought my IP3000 for $66.00 US shipped... might even get a $20 rebate. In all fairness I did use one dremmel disc on my Epson tray, and a spot of spray paint... can't remember if I used Zinger or Tartan.

£36 or £25 if I take the time to get the rebate is how much less expensive than a UK model? From my understanding I'd have to pay £75 For the printer and vat, and another £75 pound to ship it cross the pond if i'm lucky. Plus power conversion. I'd guess US275.00 - US$300.00 when all is said and done.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:25 PM   #9

Agree it will bump the price up - OK you win.

Davy
Old May 30, 2005, 11:05 PM   #10

I'd still rather just buy a current US version that DID print CD/DVD out of the box. And I'm willing to wait (no urgency). As per the original post, just curious; no one's heard any rumors that this feature could be added, say within a year? It just seems crazy to me that Epson's got this monopoly here, not just Canon but HP don't offer the feature. If its just a matter of higher cost due to licensing, you'd think they would throw it in on a premium priced model.

On another note; anyone know if any UK vendors ship All-in-One's (like MP760 or 780) to the US? Apparently Expansys only caries the photo printer line and not the all-in-ones.
enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote