Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 29, 2002, 9:27 PM   #1

Default photo printer

I am looking for advice on photo printers.
Will be printing output from a Minolta Dimage 7i
8x10 is largest required print size
Most important criteria is print quality - speed not important
will not be used for text
To be used for architectural photography
Price range up to $800

Thanks for any advice.
pgrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:44 AM   #2

For print quality, the best available letter sized inkjet printer is probably the Epson Photo Stylus 960, although Canon is about to launch the i950 (launched earlier this week in Europe) which might produce slightly higher quality prints - it will certainly be much faster. There are rumours that it will be announced in the US in February.

If you want to print black and white and print longevity is important, you should consider the Epson 2200, although this is a wide carriage printer and is physically quite big.

You should be aware that the differences in print quality between photo inkjet printers (6 colour) are now quite small, and you might want to look at cheaper models, e.g. the HP 7150, the Canon S820/900 (you may get a very good deal at the moment because they are about to be replaced) and the Epson 820/825/925.

Although you say that print speed is not important, you might find that it is. Canon printers are 3-5 times as fast as other inkjets, and I think that this is a big plus when printing 8 x 10. You should also consider print longevity, although this is as much a function of the paper that you use as the printer. If it is really important, you should get the Epson 2200 which is the only photo printer available at the present time to use long life pigment inks. Otherwise, be careful with your choice of paper.

You might also want to look at dye sublimation printers, although I think that the only 8 x 10 dye sub within your price range is the Olympus P-400 which actually prints just under 8 x 10 (something like 7.66 x 10). Some people think that dye sub prints are more like conventional film prints that inkjet prints, and the prints are coated to reduce fading.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:29 PM   #3

If you can go $500 for your printer, the Olympus P-400 is the best I've seen. I have several printers. Epson 1200, Epson 785EPX, Canon S900 and S9000. I also have a Sony SV55. I love my Canon inkjets and would be hard pressed to buy any other inkjet. That said, there is NO QUALITY like that of the Dye Sub P-400 or the Sony.(small pics only) The 400 will leave you amazed every time it spits out a print. EVERY TIME! I have sold prints from the 400 for $200 and more. No complaints from anyone, only praise. I shot some potraits at an Art Fair. Used my D-60 for immediate delivery from the P-400. The crowed was stunned every time a new print came out. I shot, 1 print, $65 a pop. I have many wanting me and of course the P-400 for an encore performance in Feb. I ran out of paper and ribbon last time. I'll be more prepared next time. I was honestly stunned at the reception and publicity created by our afternoon of fun and photography. :shock: Dye Sub is the future and it is now!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote