Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:03 AM   #1

Default Epson 2200

Well, based on Steve's review and then scouring the web for other information, I went ahead and got the Epson 2200. I'm in Win 2000, and its worked great out of the box. I am shooting a lot of black and white photography and wanted a printer that would get good results. This printer does that. I'm using a B & W work flow suggested by Luminous Landscape in the photo realistic mode. The quality is pretty darn good. Using the matt Black on the Enhanced Matt paper. I get true black. The prints are fairly nuetral though in direct sunlight there is a slight green cast. I'm looking for a method that will maybe lessen that effect. In room light its great. Its not nearly as mutable as when using the photo black which gives a magenta cast. The cool thing is, even though my monitor isn't professionally calibrated, I'm getting very very close to what is on the tube in the print and I've never seen that before as well as this. In color I'm just using the enhanced matt profile with no tweaking and am getting just what I see on the screen, fabulous color prints with no discernable color shift. This things the BOMB.!

Question, does anyone know of any internet sights that discuss printing, I've heard that some people are actually printing in just grey scale, not using the other inks (not removing but printing black and white) and getting results they really like. If anyone knows these good printing forums, I'd appreciate a url.
Thanx.
Barry Fisher
Uhooru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:26 AM   #2

http://www.dpreview.com
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:53 AM   #3

Thanx. I checked it out, but couldn't find much. But id did come across this: http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin...#Workflow_2200. Unfortunately, I'm just not computer literate enough to completely understand it.
Regards
Barry Fisher
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:57 PM   #4

Ther was a post on that website a while back about the grayscale balance software which may help you get rid of that green cast. This software is downloadable. I used to have it but it got lost in a hard drive crash.

One tip I picked up from dp review is that if you are using photoshop try turning off your PIM in the printer driver and only using the PIM in photoshop.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 3:40 AM   #5

I am surprised that you didn't find anything on the DP Review Printers and Printing forum because I am sure that there are more 2200 owners on that forum than any other. Did you do a comprehensive search on, say, 2200 and B&W? You might want to post a question on the forum.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 4:00 AM   #6

Thanx guys. there's actually a nice tutorial at the "Luminous Landscape" website, and it also leads to a way to get the french version of the gray balancer and a patch that translates it to English. Then there is a tutorial on how to use the G.B. with a Kodak grey scale instead of the Epson grey scale that we Yanks and Canuks don't get. I'm playing around with it still. Have some profiles, and frankly am not seeing much difference over the "photorealistic" method I mentioned before. In other words, a slight cast in different light, but basically amazing quality. In the various color workflows, some of which are also discussed at the Lum. Landscape. I get basically the same great results using several different methods. Basically they all the "suggested" methods all look great, and I have about 6 color prints I'm staring at and trying to see any differences. There all great. I'm focused right now on the enhanced Matt with the Matt Black Ink, and itf pretty fabulous.

Cheers.
Barry

P.s. I did do Epson 2200 search on DP Review, and there were several posts, but nothing really on nuts and bolts work flows. Thanx for you help and suggestions. Its one excellent printer!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:02 AM   #7

Uhooru:

May I ask where you purchased the 2200?

Thank you,

Ray
xmarcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 12:11 PM   #8

MicroCenter in Santa Ana, CA. Its the only place I could find one. They had just gotten a big shipment in.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:47 PM   #9

Uhooru:

Thanks for the info. I found some at Fryes/Outpost and am looking forward to using them.

Ray
xmarcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:48 PM   #10

Good luck Ray. Let the games begin! I think once you get it dialed in you'll be pleased. While you're there, I would suggest getting at least one extra Light Cayan, Light Magenta and Light Black Cartridge as these go about 2-3 times as fast as the others, and the supply of inks have been spotty in the southland. I also like the Matt Black Ink and have been using mostly enhanced matt paper. The semi gloss looks pretty cool too, and I still have a lot of testing to do.

Cheers
Barry