Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2002, 4:58 AM   #1

Default Photo Printer better?

I have an Epson 740 which is about 3 or 4 years old. I print a variety of things from text to recently photos. I am happy with the results for photos and most people can't tell they are from a printer.

I noticed that Walmart has the Epson 785epx on closeout for $108. The reviews look good. My question is would I see any/much improvement in photo quality or keep using the 740 until it dies and then get a "photo" printer? Is a 6 color really all that much better than 4?

Thanks in advance for the help!
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 1:24 PM   #2

Your old printer is a lot cheaper to run than the newer six color printers. I have had great success using third party inks in both my old four color and new six color printers. If you compare two prints side by side, the six color printer will show smoother color gradations, especially noticable in the sky and in skin tones. The newer six color printers use longer lasting inks. This is important if you want to hang your pictures.

Whether these improvements are worth the extra money is up to you.

I have switched over to Epson Heavyweight Matte paper and it works great with either my Stylus Color 850 (4 colors) or my Stylus Photo 1270 (6 colors).
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:42 PM   #3

Freddie,
the 785EXP great chioce at that money, do not be afraid of aftermarket ink cart, about $24 total for the 5 color and black. If you go with it send me a message and will send you a link to a quality INK Cart dealer.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:40 PM   #4

That 785EPX will be another world for you. You will see a difference, a huge one. The price is a steal for the 785. I use a dye sub for all of my "fine art" work now. I look back at a few I did last summer with the 785EPX and am very proud of them. Lots has changed since you bought that 740. I used to own one. My son prints his term papers on it now. The 785 is very advanced as comared to your current printer. If you can afford the Canon 900, I would feel that you will ultimately happier. Great color, B&W and the speed is shocking.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:42 PM   #5

That 785EPX will be another world for you. You will see a difference, a huge one. The price is a steal for the 785. I use a dye sub for all of my "fine art" work now. I look back at a few I did last summer with the 785EPX and am very proud of them. Lots has changed since you bought that 740. I used to own one. My son prints his term papers on it now. The 785 is very advanced as comared to your current printer. If you can afford the Canon 900, I would feel that you will ultimately happier. Great color, B&W and the speed is shocking.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:41 AM   #6

OK thanks, but now I'm still confused. Which Epson would be the best for the least money? Or would I be better off with the HiTi printer and keep my old Epson? Most off what I print is 4X6.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:17 AM   #7

The HiTi I hear is a good printer I can't make a comment till I see it in person though but the reviews so far have been good.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote