Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:31 PM   #21

zakezuke, I miss read the big thread and thought there was a different tray for the ip4200, I think that brought up speculation. The print hack for the ip4200 was confirmed in another thread:

"The "print hack" will work on the US version of the ip4200.

I suspected this was possible when I saw there was an ip4200 for sale in the UK with CD/DVD printing. When I read the FAQ on Canon ip3000/4000/5000 CD printing (http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/), I noted the following similarities between the ip4200 and the ip4000.

1. The inner pull-down tray has an accessible slot after removing the plastic piece.

2. The CD tray dimensions shown in this FAQ fit this slot.

3. The top two buttons on the front panel perform the Power and Resume functions as in the ip4000.

As a result, I decided to try to implement the FAQ on the ip4200. Everything on the FAQ worked except for the Destination Settings. When you press Resume multiple times to pick a destination, the following is printed out:

1 time JPN (cyan)
2 times KOR (cyan)
3 times US (cyan)
4 times EUR (cyan)
5 times AUS (cyan)
6 times ASI (cyan)
7 times CHN (cyan)
8 times TIW (cyan)
9 times JPN (pink)
(I determined this from trial and error and not from a service manual. Pressing Resume more than 9 times still gave you JPN (pink). Note that this is very different from the Destination Settings for the ip4000.)

I set the destination to EUR (since the UK is in Europe) and I was eventually able to print on CDs using the CD-LabelPrint software and the US printer driver that came with my ip4200 (after setting CDRSWITCH to 1 in the registry). It turned out that my problem was not in the setup. The reflectors in my homemade tray were slightly off and the printer did not recognize that a tray was present . Once the reflectors were corrected, I could print on CDs every time."

by, rcaldjr2.

I'm sure the manuel for the ip4200 will be usefull, when someone finds it.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:54 PM   #22

Is the tray for the new canons they same as the old canons?

Tray B.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:56 PM   #23
Administrator

A reminder to anyone that has parts available for these printers.

For Sale Posts are Not Allowed.

If you run your mouse cursor over the "Discussion Forums" menu choice on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com, you'll see this rule:

Quote:

Public Discussion Forums

You'll find a multitude of friendly folks here to help you. We have forums for every popular camera maker, general Q&A forums and forums where you can post your favorite photos.

We only ask that you do not post any wanted, for sale or commercial type advertisements.
These rules were also in the confirmation e-mail you received when joining the forums.

I can appreciate the effort many of you have put into this issue. But, it's not fair to forum members we've enforced this rule with to allow the for sale posts to stay.

It's far too hard to police, since we'd have scammers posting, commercial entities posing as individuals, etc.

So, we do not allowfor saleposts in the forums. Period.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:34 AM   #24

JimC,

What you say is reasonable and perfectly understandable but was it neccessary to close the thread? Isn't it possible to just remove the offending posts? There's a lot of good information in that thread. Now it's dead.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:59 AM   #25
Administrator

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
What you say is reasonable and perfectly understandable but was it neccessary to close the thread? Isn't it possible to just remove the offending posts? There's a lot of good information in that thread. Now it's dead.
It's not dead (you can still read the information). We didn't remove the thread, only closed it to new posts or edits.

There are 69 pages, with over 1300 posts in that thread. It's going to take me a while to go through it and remove the for sale posts. That's easier to do with it closed (so that posts are not added or edited during the process).

I will consider reopening it after it's cleaned up.

Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:10 AM   #26

Thanks. The thread helped me a lot. That's all I ask.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:16 AM   #27
Administrator

Trust me, the easy solution wouldbe to remove the thread. But, I can see the value of the information it contains (and I think that mostfor sale posts were from members that didn't realize that they were against the rules). So, I'll try to leave it as intact as possible.

Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:57 PM   #28
Administrator

Updateto previous post:

Quote:
Moderator Note:
Quote:
It has come to my attention that this forum is being used to sell printer parts (for example, CD trays and rollers for Canon Pixma Printers).

If you run your mouse cursor over the "Discussion Forums" menu choice on the main page at http://www.steves-digicams.com, you'll see some rules:
Quote:

Public Discussion Forums

You'll find a multitude of friendly folks here to help you. We have forums for every popular camera maker, general Q&A forums and forums where you can post your favorite photos.

We only ask that you do not post any wanted, for sale or commercial type advertisements.
Quote:
These rulesare also in the confirmation e-mail new members receive when joining the forums.

I can appreciate the effort many of you have put into the issues regarding printers. But, it's not fair to forum members we've enforced this rule with to allow the for sale posts to stay.

It's far too hard to police "for sale" typeposts (since we'd have scammers posting, commercial entities posing as individuals, etc.) So, we don't allow any Wanted or For Sale type posts here -- Period.

The original thread with the problem was temporarily closed when the for sale posts came to our attention.

It has now been reopened.

But, I'll expect those of you that made for sale posts to edit your posts and remove the references to items placed for sale in the thread. The same thing applies to posts in any other forum threads. We don't allow for sale posts.

I'll also expect that no commercial business will be conducted via Private Messages. If I do not see progress in the editing of existing for sale posts (including links to member's Ebay listings) in the original thread, then I'll shut down the thread and take moreappropriate action (and I really don't want to remove the original andthe related threads entirely unless left no other choice).
Quote:
If you see someone else doing this again, please let them know it's against the rules and notify a moderator.

The forums here are not to be used to conduct business. That includes Wanted, For Sale, and Commercial Type Posts.

Anyone that is trying to"bend" these rules in any manner (for example, subtle hints like "send me a PM and I know someone that can get... ", in order to sell items via this site will not be tolerated.

Jim C.
Quote:
End of Moderator Note
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:15 PM   #29

Update:
-
Site Move-
Due to reports of rogue trojan (PacerDMedia.Installer)popups on cbj.net I'm moving my site. Should be up momentarly.Edit:Is up at http://pixma-faq.periastron.com

-Mosaic-

annoc contributed a ROLLER ASSEMBLY PHOTO TUTORIAL
From this I plan to make mosaics.

Attached Images

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:09 PM   #30

Update:

This design appears to work, taking a slim jewel case and molding posterboard around it. Height might be a hair high but in my last 5 tests it prints well.

You'll note the lack of slots for finger removal. Disc removal is a simple matter of depressing the center hub with your index finger and turning the tray upside causes the disc to fall out.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote