Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:04 PM   #51

Thanks. I thought it might be the white background but I wasn't sure. I used a black marker to color the part of the tray that's in the printer, and now it works. I have a question though. When you insert the tray into the printer, should the CD-R be exactly halfway inside the printer, or slightly less than an inch than that? Thanks!
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:32 PM   #52

galapogos wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I thought it might be the white background but I wasn't sure. I used a black marker to color the part of the tray that's in the printer, and now it works. I have a question though. When you insert the tray into the printer, should the CD-R be exactly halfway inside the printer, or slightly less than an inch than that? Thanks!

If you look down on the inner door of the printer you will see a triangle on the right hand side which is suppose to align with the triangles on the template. There are also notches on each side of the guide in the door about 1/4 inchfrom the front edge of the door.

But I just push the tray in until I feel it touch the back rollers, that is about a 1/4 inch further than the arrows indicate but it works.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:55 PM   #53

Dave S. wrote:
Quote:
Actually I'm the one who said Type "C". That's how it's presented in the list of available page sizes for the 4200. For the 4000 it's listed as type "B", so I presumed that they would be different. Obviously they're not.

I'm quite pleased with the CD/DVD printing on the 4200. The rollers are integeral, so no nudging is necessary. Print quality is, as expected, excellent. The Canon Pixma 3000 template for Nero 6 Ultra works correctly with this printer, so there's another CD labeling program you can use.
I figured out the whole "CD-R Tray C" thing (I'm probably not the only one).

The 4200 has two paper feed sources, the auto feeder on top (A),a cassette underneath (B), and a CD tray (C). They're simplyreferring to the 3 different feed sources.
Ra Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:15 PM   #54

Ra Power wrote:
Quote:
I figured out the whole "CD-R Tray C" thing (I'm probably not the only one).

The 4200 has two paper feed sources, the auto feeder on top (A),a cassette underneath (B), and a CD tray (C). They're simplyreferring to the 3 different feed sources.
I looked at the ip4200 driver, it says tray c. I just looked at the ip3000 driver, it say tray b. And I know the i865 and i965 use tray type a. Type A has the reflectors aft of the cd, type B has them on the nose. There were pictures of another tray type that someone pulled from the canon australia site...which looked slightly different. Looked more geared tward card sized cds, the hub reflector was actually square rather than being an arch. Don't ask me what it means, I have no idea. But clearly for whatever reason they are calling the cd tray that comes with the new printer type c, perhaps they resolved issues with hockey rink sized media that only 1/2 covered the arch reflector
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:32 PM   #55

Okay, I just purchased an ip5200 last weekend and bought a cdtray (tray B) off ebay. CD/DVD printing works! Thanks to this forum for giving me the options to use.

I had first installed the US driver, then downloaded the european driver, but I had to go into the registry and change the setting, so I'm not sure if the US setting stayed put when I uninstalled and the european driver didn't change it..? Or maybe it was because I hadn't changed my printer setting yet and the driver maybe somehow 'read' the ROM and saw it was US so it didn't swtich the registry to '1'..? I don't know. I don't want to go thru the hassle of setting everything back and trying again. If it works now, I shouldn't mess with it.
I pressed the RESUME button 4 times and it gave me the EUR in cyan and can now print CD's and DVD's.

Oh boy, now I have a bunch of discs to burn and PRINT!!:-):-):lol:
:homey:
Piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:58 PM   #56

FYI I just got a new ip5200 from Amazon.
There is NO removeable cover; it's a solid piece of plastic.
So, between November and now, Canon must have made a change.
Mine is SN AAAN10XXX.
Y4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:54 PM   #57

Y4806 wrote:
Quote:
FYI I just got a new ip5200 from Amazon.
There is NO removeable cover; it's a solid piece of plastic.
So, between November and now, Canon must have made a change.
Mine is SN AAAN10XXX.

The current models do not have a cover. When you fold down the inner door, the slot has a piece of plastic inserted in it. If you look closely you should be able to see the top of the rollers. The insert is making contact with the bottom of those rollers. You should be able to carefully pry out the insert.

These models have the advantage of the rollers being included if you can live with the chipped cartridges.

If in fact they have made some other change, could you post a picture of how yours looks.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:52 AM   #58

I just purchased a new ip5200 from Amazon, bought tray B on Ebay, and removed the plastic covering the print tray opening. It is exactly as you describe nothing has changed. My serial number is AAAN16XXX. I use Accoustica cd label software it works great! Thanks to everyone who figured this puzzle out it is appreciated. The only difficulty I had was getting the printer into service mode, it took a couple of tries, but after that it was easy. thanks
MaryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:04 PM   #59

MaryZ wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a new ip5200 from Amazon, bought tray B on Ebay, and removed the plastic covering the print tray opening. It is exactly as you describe nothing has changed. My serial number is AAAN16XXX. I use Accoustica cd label software it works great! Thanks to everyone who figured this puzzle out it is appreciated. The only difficulty I had was getting the printer into service mode, it took a couple of tries, but after that it was easy. thanks

Yes, I too am seriously considering ordering the ip5200. My ip3000 is spiffy but I expect the ip5200 to be even more spiffy and I bought the ip3000 just so I could experiment with all the info I gathered from here. This project would have not been possible without the prior research by the users of stevesforums and people like you willing to try it out and give us feedback.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:12 PM   #60

Thanksfor the info on printing Cd's with the Canon Pixma ip3000. By following the directions, I have a fully functional ip 3000 printer that will print on cd's. I am using the OEM tray. In the event that you would like the printing to be darker, It can be done by Printing it a second time. After the first print, put the tray back in, being careful not to disturb the positin of the cd still on the tray. And reprint. The repeatability is fantastic, and the result is a much more vivid cd label.
Fordster is offline   Reply With Quote