Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Canon S820 vs I850

Steve, I have read both your reviews of the Canon S820 and I850 and have a few questions. I purchased a Kodak DC4800 about nine months ago based on your informative, excellent review and am now just finally starting to edit with Paint Shop Pro 7 and I print the photos on a HP 932C.
Will both the Canon S820 & I850 print good B&W glossies ? I use my HP printer to print text, B&W photos, and color photos. I'm looking for the best performance and economy printer - I do want good text, graphics, and very good photos. In your opinion should I buy the S820 or I850? If the S820 is the better of the two, is it a lot costlier per print for the two extra photo cartridges?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Don Springer

PS I posted this on the Inkjet - Inks, etc by mistake .. I'm just a newbie.
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:45 PM   #2

Default i'm not steve

he seams to go out of his way saying on reviews of 900 & 9000 that these are not B&W picture printer at all. Seams that none of the canon are. Epson 960 & 2200 with there special black photo ink cartridges are the printer to buy if your into B&W printing everyone says.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 3:37 PM   #3

i am asking the same question as you although in steves review the i850 does print better black and whites then some other canons any other opinions
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 4:19 PM   #4

Steve has made a comment on the cannon printers that true black and white were achieved when he switched to the XP operating system. He also commented that it must be the drivers for Win98 that create the black and white printing problems. XP + Cannon + great black and white prints.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:23 AM   #5

I asked Steve about the two Canon printers mentioned, and he suggested the S820 was superior, so I bought it. Ink price really isn't a factor since there are 6 different ink tanks and you only replace the 'empty' one...aftermarket cartridges or 'tanks' can be had for under $6 each...
As far as the 'black and white' question goes, I did read Steve's comments about the 'black' coming out 'blue or green', but I am running Win98SE and I honestly cannot see any other shades in my 'blacks'...If I did, I'd be the first to complain, because I cherish each and every printed pic of my now almost 4 year old son!
Get the S820, it's very fast, has the borderless prints and is cheaper than the i850! You can get one at www.buy.com
for only $118.95, with free shipping and they have deals on cartridges and paper as well.
Blessings, Johnny...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:42 AM   #6

Default Buy.com, a strange place

Funny you say Buy.com has the S820 for $118.99, which they did on thursday. Friday when i ordered it the cost was $114.99. and today saturday it now $199.99. any bets on the price tomorrow
Old Jan 25, 2003, 2:11 PM   #7

Today it is $119.99. Can't see it going to $199, maybe they goofed!
Blessings, Johnny
Anyway, you got a great deal at $114.99....
Old Jan 25, 2003, 6:06 PM   #8

Default I goofed

I meant $119.99 :lol: shame we can't go back and edit our mistakes. I had a Epson 640 since before windows 95 and it never lined up special paper right. They said it was the driver but no matter how many times a deleted the driver and reinstalled never got it right so that is one reason i'm going Canon. Wasted so many label sheets and photo paper so i'm hoping this will end with the Canon. Thought it was MS Pictureit Publishing but i have had three verisons and all did the same so it's not the program. I read alot of people pan Kodak paper but i always thought Kodak was the nicest paper ever used. HP paper i was told by a lot of people would only do well with HP printers. ANyone know if Walmart carrys Canon paper, must cost less from them.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:58 PM   #9

Photomenace: You can 'edit' your mistakes...on the top right of your post you should find 2 dialog buttons, one labeled 'quote' and the other 'edit'
Blessings, Johnny