Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 2, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1

I just finished printing a bunch of pics on my new Pixma 5000. Here are a few of my notes:

Photo pro paper is slightly heavier than plus, but the plus paper is more than adequate for snapshots IMHO.

Increasing intensity to +10 definitely brings the density up to where it should be, though it tends to darken the overall picture, especially noticeable on darker pictures. If you choose lighter prints instead of normal, the pic is almost identical to one without the +10 intensity.

Using Vivid setting for shots with grass or flowers is worth looking at. Definitely brings up the green nicely without oversaturating.

Color is excellent, however, I do notice slight trouble with orange and yellow so far. For most cases it is perfectly acceptable, but looking at some of my flower prints, I might think the 8500 would bebetter with its wider color gamut...duh... Still, very acceptable for all but the most discerning eye!

B/W is acceptable but not great. Good for casual prints.

Coming from an Epson Stylus Photo 870, this thing rocks! Text sheets come out about 5 times faster. Color photos are way faster except when turning Photo Pro paper to its finest setting (1 pcl). At that setting a 4 x 6 is a bit slow but still faster than the Epson. I couldn't discern much difference in qualitybetween a high quality and fine quality setting but haven't looked with a magnifying glass yet. Very nice to get borderless prints. The Epson lacked that capability.

Draft mode does print text slightly lighter. I have noticed that on other printers as well. I didn't notice much speed improvement though it might be faster. It probably saves ink in that mode more than increase speed. Text quality is better than my Epson in regular mode and more than acceptable for my needs.

Very quiet printing. It does occasionally make some noise like its doing something even when you are not printing anything. I guess it does some internal cycle or something. Not a problem, just unnerving until you realize that is all it is.

After printing a couple of dozen 4 x 6 pics, I see no change in ink level.

Decent build quality. The cassette is a bit delicate, but otherwise solid. Good print driver included. I have yet to print an envelope, but it has to be better than my Epson!

Have not done much with the software yet, but did print a couple of pics with Easy Photo Print. Very simple with a few basic correction modes. Ok, but not important if you are using a good photo editor.

Thats it so far. Will be trying some other papers including Matte from Canon and some of my Epson papers. I have not seen the Canon Semi Gloss available in local stores so will order some online.

Bottom line so far is photo quality (other than perfect colors) is as good as a lab. Very satisfied with purchase as a general use printer. Mostly photos and some text printing use for me. If I need more, the 8500 would be my next step up for photo's.

H

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:31 PM   #2

Thanks for info

I just 'tossed' a C62 ....Lol and planning to get the ip5000. I only want mine for general purpose, you know the thing, a bit of this and that, more into graphics than photo's but would like to do the odd one.

I do have a Samsung laser I use for making PCB's, the thing only cost me £48 UK, it's had two toner refills to date and still going strong, proves to be a real work horse for text as well.

I know its like asking 'the length of a ball of string', but was wondering about the minimum usage, ie a test pattern with all main tank colours or picture every what, 2 or 3 days, be glad to have any opinions.

Wonder did you have a peep at photo-i review of the ip5000 with some comparisons to the others, I think ip8500 was mentioned.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

I'm sure the 8500 has better colors than the 5000. I have not seen it myself, but it seems to be well documented.

I've just noticed some very fine scratches on the surface of some of my prints. Definitely worse from prints loaded from the cassette. Only some of the prints have them. Others clear... I have to do some larger prints to see if they are more apparent.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:09 AM   #4

I understand thats because the papers doing a 'U' turn, maybe something to do, not with the gloss but the drying time, one way to prove is to print a smallish picture and see if the marks are on the gloss as well (the unprinted section).

I suppose it will happen even with a photo straight from the developing tank being dropped face down, said that to try to illustrate.

Heard the cure was to use the 'top' loader and that Canon was aware of the problem, it something that for my purposes
I THINK I could cope with, providing the top feed is 'scratch free', I'm more into graphics than photography but would like that option 'for the odd one'

But it should not be on them, making the point of double sided photo printing a little worrying.

Davy
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:35 AM   #5

Just ordered a ip5000 from Dabs computers in Bolton. UK

Thanks to bigboyhf (and others).

Davy