Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:49 PM   #11

Here's the driver update page for all Japaneseprinter models:

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/index.html

The drivers specific to the Pixma line are at the first link in the list (i.e., the iP series):

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/ip-series.html
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:36 PM   #12

:?Where these put out specifically for the new ink set? (Can't read Japanese)
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:10 PM   #13

I can't say I'm fluent in Japanese, but the driver listed for the 9910 and 8600, the 9900 and 8500 equivalents,(i.e.,driver 1.85) was made available on the same date (Feb 17, 2005) as the posts announcing the 9100 and others with ChromaLife ink. My assumptionis that if there were any changes necessary in the driverfor this ink, theywould be included in that set of drivers.

However, since the packagingof the ChromaLife ink I received says it's compatible with the 4100 (pixma 4000) and there is no recent driver update for that particular printer I'm a little skeptical that a driver upgrade is absolutely necessary.

Just my thoughts
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:16 PM   #14

Well the Japanese printers are already using Chromalife 100 ink.

iP4100 = iP4000 with chromalife ink

iP8600 = iP8500 with chromalife ink

So worst case scenario is that using the information from the CD printing thread you change the destination code to the Japanese model and use the Japanese driver.

So you essentially change your ip4000 to a ip4100.

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:12 AM   #15

websterursus wrote:
Quote:
In Japan a new canon printer is to come out, which is equipped with new ink cartouches "CLI-8". Who white for which printer this to be used?
I'm also at a loss for the "CLI-8" but the BCI-8 is used on the Aspen color printer. bj-8500(or was it bj-f8500) bjc-8500. I seem to remember this being an older sucker engine also used by apple... color stylus pro perhaps? Canon A-161 engine? 70ml black 1/2 sized color tanks? cardiac pacemaker users were warned not to use this.

Took me a while to remember till someone else somewhere bought up a question about who made the print engines.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:34 AM   #16

To DaiButsu

I am anxiously waiting to hear from you how it went. Were you able to get good results with the BCI-7 cartridge in you older printer? Did you have to profile the printer to get good results or did it just work?

What exactly did the box say the cartridges would fit? Did it say they would fit on the i9900 or did it say they would fit the i9910? I am not 100% convinced they are the same printer, but if you are able to use the cartridges in your i860 that would move me a long way to 100%. Do you know if the i9910 was introduced in 2005 or is it an older printer like the i9900?
BHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:35 AM   #17

BHarp wrote:
Quote:
To DaiButsu

I am anxiously waiting to hear from you how it went. Were you able to get good results with the BCI-7 cartridge in you older printer? Did you have to profile the printer to get good results or did it just work?

What exactly did the box say the cartridges would fit? Did it say they would fit on the i9900 or did it say they would fit the i9910? I am not 100% convinced they are the same printer, but if you are able to use the cartridges in your i860 that would move me a long way to 100%. Do you know if the i9910 was introduced in 2005 or is it an older printer like the i9900?
:|The "8" series inks, whatever they will be eventually called here in the US, will be coming soon. I believe it will be late this fall. In making them work correctly, Canon will provide a driver/firmware update, just as they did when they changed over a few years back from the BCI-5 series ink to the 6. I understand that some people are getting them from Japan and trying them out over here, that's great! And I understand making them work here is nothing more than installing the Japanese driver; I'm not sure on that, but sounds like a shot anyway. In looking back, the way Canon does things is that we may first something new in Japan, then it may or may not go anywhere (Canon uses the Japaneses people for their guinnea pigs), then this new product (whatever it may be), will show up and beavailable (next), on the European market. THEN we get it (US). Many times things are easier to adapt if we don't want to wait because at least coming from the European market, we can understand things better (UK being English). From what I've read the new ink formula is a great thing. Here is a web site that someone referred me to that was comparing the NEW Epson inks to that the newest Canon (i9900), and the newest HP large format. The test was looking at three different sets of light density, measuring color gamut, and you know what?!?!?!? The Canon i9900 still won OUT overall, having the best overall, widest color gamut (not by much). The Epson inks are still the choice for their 1-200 year archival ability, but hey, if I use as good of paper as the PR101 and frame it well, I don't mind printing another one in 30-40 years. Anyways, that new CBI-8 is supposed to have an archival rating of at least 100 years. That will surely sparka lot of fires and perhaps many people that really do like Canon's and their color gamut out, will go over and give them a try now (other than the only other choice being the wide format professional Canon models that offer pigment based ink). I would also bet that SOON we'll see something. Keep an eye on the European Canon site. It shows the newest products FIRST!

HEre is that link to the test that was done on color range (gamut):

http://www.dpnow.com/1867a.html

"Canon's i9950, profiled for Canon's premium Photo Paper Pro glossy paper, shows a particularly impressive green and red performance at L:50, though it doesn't quite match any of the UltraChromes in the blue space. But overall, these dye-based inks offer among the greatest gamut area of all at L:50. "

"Canon's dye-based inks lose out in the green, yellow and red regions of the gamut space at L:25, though blue and cyan are good."

"But the outstanding performer at L:75 is clearly the Canon i9950 with its dye-based inks, particularly in the yellow-red corner."

"Canon showed that for absolute gamut area, dye-based inks can retain a small advantage, but it's pretty small. HP's Photosmart 8750 Vivera inks don't appear to be in the same league as the others, apart from in the L:25 dark region, where the additional blue ink visibly makes a difference. "

Here is the site to keep track of when checking onthe new Canon products thatare coming:

http://www.canon-europe.com/

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...PageID=25108#2

End

Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:57 AM   #18

:idea:HAve you tried these yet? What are the initial results?