Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:07 PM   #1

Hello,

I have an HP PSC 2355xi scanner/cop/printer. When I print out documents it prints out EXACTLY every other line just perfectly. But for all of the other lines the printer prints them out only half way tall.

At work I use a web-based application by http://www.edline.net and this is where most of the problems occur. Because I can print out a test page from the printer, full page photographs any *.txt or *.doc document just fine. It's just certain documents that I can't print our clearly and http://www.edline.net is just one of them. (You need an edline login to print out any data)

If anyone happens to know what is going on here then please let me know. It might be something as simple as an error with the printer's settings, I don't know.

Thanks,
Me :?:
pvtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:05 PM   #2

Don't have HP printer.
Since no one came back yet, thought I'd just inquire. HP normally uses cartridges with the print head attached.
If this is the case you might try getting a soft cloth and gently wiping the contacts on the side of the tanks, and the ones on the inside of the tank holder.

I've seen them caked with ink and causes problems

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:08 AM   #3

I don't have an HP either, but if your pix, .doc files etc. print out fine, then the printer's OK.

It will be printing the way it does because the document (or application) tells it to.

Can you check what those documents that don't print right use as a line feed character?

It may be something the HP interprets as a command (since it prints correctly in one direction, the command will be a toggle.)

'fraid that's as far as I can take it for the moment.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:41 PM   #4

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Can you check what those documents that don't print right use as a line feed character?

It may be something the HP interprets as a command (since it prints correctly in one direction, the command will be a toggle.)

'fraid that's as far as I can take it for the moment.
Davy replies.
Sounds better than what I suggested - Thanks to Idle.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5

My guess would be just because it's an HP. I would get, as I am, for a new, and top rated muti-function unit, the Canon MP780. It has the seperate ink tanks, which save you money and a life-time print head. It was compared on Cnet with the HP7410, which is their business $500 machine. The Canon has just come down to $199!!!! This does print, copy, scan, fax and photo print. It has a document feeder and a duplex unit built in for 2 sided printing. The scanner unit is the best in the business with a 4800x2400 dpi OPTICAL scanner! The blk txt cartridge is only a $14 replacement and was rated at 1500 text copies @ a penny a page! I saw it print a photo the other day and was perfect, borderless and dry at about 50 seconds!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:50 AM   #6

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
My guess would be just because it's an HP. I would get, as I am, for a new, and top rated muti-function unit, the Canon MP780. It has the seperate ink tanks, which save you money and a life-time print head. It was compared on Cnet with the HP7410, which is their business $500 machine. The Canon has just come down to $199!!!! This does print, copy, scan, fax and photo print. It has a document feeder and a duplex unit built in for 2 sided printing. The scanner unit is the best in the business with a 4800x2400 dpi OPTICAL scanner! The blk txt cartridge is only a $14 replacement and was rated at 1500 text copies @ a penny a page! I saw it print a photo the other day and was perfect, borderless and dry at about 50 seconds!
The specs listed on the scanner are reversed. I just tested it just to make sure. Setting the driver at 600dpi the end result for a scan is 2400x4800dpi. When I first read it I was trying to figure out why my mp760 only had a 8.5 inch wide scan head where the mp780 had an 11 inch one, but if that was true and it scaned sideways, great for speed... how on earth would the auto doc feeder work.

Also as you pointed out earlier printer compnies are getting sued for fudging on their yields. 1500pages was well and beyond the HP45 cart which was a huge 42ml cart which was only 800p or so, and the bci-3ebk is well 25ml. And the HP at the time was an inkhog to boot. According to their service manual for the ip4000, and the service manual for the mp780 for that matter.... the offical yield at 5% coverage is 500p working out to about 2.5cents a page or so depending on where you buy your ink. This is good, but this is no 1500 pages. It's not a laser.

Given the fact that the canon has a seperate printhead... unlike the HP... it's more prone to experence this problem than *any* HP.

What also struck me as odd was the fact that you sold your MP730 at a garage sale only to want to buy a mp780. Ok, the MP780 is nice, I have the mp760. IIRC this printer uses the older BCI-3e inks but everything I've read sugests you can pop BCI-6 inks BCI-3e heads. I'm not sure about head replacement, have to ask someone else about this. I'm sure the resolution isn't as nice... I think that would be 5pl max? But rather a moot point as well you already own a ip5000 and i've tested the canon software and while it may be particular to Canon devices they work just fine with networked Canon devices. Could you have just upgraded the head if quality was the issue and be happy with an ip3000 equilivent of the mp780, or did you need dye back on your multifuctional. I know I upgraded an older HP multifuctional... but I bought the replacement first before thinking about putting it in a garage sale.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote