Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:41 PM   #61

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote: So the majority of people, schools, universities and businesses use windows xp-64?
You mean I can't expect support for the current microsoft operating system until such time as the majority of people, schools, universities, and businesses get it?

It's free till the end of July for xp pro users. As at least an MSCE you would understand which markets that covers. Right now it's a choice to adopt now and chuck the Canon in favor a printer that "does" support XP-64.... or stick with a 32bit OS that microsoft wants delayed.

You said Canon are leaders... are you now saying that Canon is only following trends?

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:43 PM   #62

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
To be fair, the Canon print should have been done with their photo paper pro, and then look at the exposure (print), after several weeks.
To be fair? I mean a catalist is required for lightfastness? Due to the very high cost of canon paper doesn't this raise the cost per page above and beyond other inkjets that are more lightfast with any paper?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:45 PM   #63

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
If they're easy questions, then why are you asking?
Because I'm the "customer" asking about potential products. I'm the idiot that might be considering a printer but hasn't read what's on the box yet.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:46 PM   #64

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have got a ream of card stock that I use on my current Canon right now. But I guess we are supposed to trust everyone that writes something in his forum or another thread.
It's rather why I included the inident number... so you if you do indeed work for canon could follow it up, or heck reproduce the error your self.

But even if you can't reproduce the error, try asking support anything about card stock and see what they say?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:26 PM   #65

You said before that we have reached the limit of piezoelectric and that fine (refined thermal bubble jet) is the future, or something to that effect?

How does Fine technology compare to printheads that are assembled using sonic technology rather than epoxies or even old bonding techniques in creating the ink channel?

Also... isn't using any form of SiO2 severierly limiting in constructing a printhead since it's melting point is about 1700c?

Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:19 PM   #66

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote: So the majority of people, schools, universities and businesses use windows xp-64?
You mean I can't expect support for the current microsoft operating system until such time as the majority of people, schools, universities, and businesses get it?

It's free till the end of July for xp pro users. As at least an MSCE you would understand which markets that covers. Right now it's a choice to adopt now and chuck the Canon in favor a printer that "does" support XP-64.... or stick with a 32bit OS that microsoft wants delayed.

You said Canon are leaders... are you now saying that Canon is only following trends?

OH SCRAPP THAT, Wix XP-64, NO...More importantly -Canon should support ALL users of Linux, RedHat, and FREBSD! So what reason does every other printer manufacturer give for not supporting these operating systems? Talk about printer manufactures supporting current and former Win. OS versions, IF I HAD A NICKEL for EVERY customer that came into the store because their OLD HP PRINTER did not support the current OS, I'd be a rich man! Plus, what those smart, Programmer AND GEEKIE customers tell me is that, "Hey, I'll write the damn driver myself!" Tell me what consumer printers do support xp-64 RIGHT out of the box?
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:51 PM   #67

:blah: Hey guys, NEW thread, Canon has released the Canon EOS 20Da! A limited edtion version of the award winning 20D, but specifically for AstroPhotographers!

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20da/index.html

Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:56 PM   #68

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
OH SCRAPP THAT, Wix XP-64, NO...More importantly -Canon should support ALL users of Linux, RedHat, and FREBSD! So what reason does every other printer manufacturer give for not supporting these operating systems? Talk about printer manufactures supporting current and former Win. OS versions, IF I HAD A NICKEL for EVERY customer that came into the store because their OLD HP PRINTER did not support the current OS, I'd be a rich man! Plus, what those smart, Programmer AND GEEKIE customers tell me is that, "Hey, I'll write the darn driver myself!" Tell me what consumer printers do support xp-64 RIGHT out of the box?
Actually...

(hello mc fly hello!) ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/ (do we feel like a dumbass now? I thought so).

one more time for effect

(hello mc fly hello!) ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/ (do we feel like a dumbass now? I thought so).

But I wasn't speaking of "linux".... I was speaking of xp64, you know microsoft.. small redmond company who has a tiny portion of the market share. While no I can't expect linux support (oh but wait... this IS supported), wasn't talking about that. I'm talking about the current microsoft operating system that is supported by HP and those other guys.

The reason why these "smart geekie programer" customers whom you speak of can't write drivers without the specifications... well unless they spend lots of time reverse engineering the new protocals or going the developers kit NDA route (I never tried getting one from canon). But you know, i'm not talking about those people.

But given the time involved in creating a driver, most of it would be red tape, signing a NDA for the devleopment kit. I'm telling you I can guarantee you it's a whole lot less trouble to chuck out these sub $150 canons and buy HPs that "are" supported.

But hey... Canon must be doing something right... there must be a good reason they are not supporting the CURRENT VERSION OF THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM. But jeepers!!! They have linux drivers but no xp64 drivers?

THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

re read if you do not understand

CURRENT VERSION OF THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM.

Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:59 PM   #69

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
You said before that we have reached the limit of piezoelectric and that fine (refined thermal bubble jet) is the future, or something to that effect?

How does Fine technology compare to printheads that are assembled using sonic technology rather than epoxies or even old bonding techniques in creating the ink channel?

Also... isn't using any form of SiO2 severierly limiting in constructing a printhead since it's melting point is about 1700c?

I already compared how the Canon printhead is made, using their CMOS or semi-conductor process, RATHER than "bonding" and how that Canon's printhead is superior, SPECIFICALLY when it comes to creating the "ink channel". Did you only read the sections that you want to bash me and Canon on or did you read all of it?

As far as the lightfastness with Canon paper and it's cost, heck I'll send you some, FREE! LOL What's the address? Also, Epson does quote their lightfastness abilities with different papers of their ownand makes reccommendations, just like everyone else.

Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:09 PM   #70

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

I already compared how the Canon printhead is made, using their CMOS or semi-conductor process, RATHER than "bonding" and how that Canon's printhead is superior, SPECIFICALLY when it comes to creating the "ink channel". Did you only read the sections that you want to bash me and Canon on or did you read all of it?

As far as the lightfastness with Canon paper and it's cost, heck I'll send you some, FREE! LOL What's the address? Also, Epson does quote their lightfastness abilities with different papers of their ownand makes reccommendations, just like everyone else.

I asked you to compair it to other techniques. I'm just an idiot consumer. You didn't go into bonding techniques at all, and use of sio2 seems like it would really limit the tempratures that you can use in the printhead, vs peizo which are actually mechanical and you can shove just about anything through them. I rather thought your description was actuallly very helpful in pointing out the limiting factors of mediums you can push through the head... but leaves me wondering how the heck the pro wides can use this for pigment ink.... seems to me they would get clogged very easily.

Anyhow... per your request I placed two photos by the same western window, both on the glossy paper plus, one old bottom HP, the other the Canon. We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.