Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:12 AM   #1

Hi,

I finally decided to bite thebullet and get the IP8500 rather than the IP4000R because I valued the output quality higher than the built-in networking features of the 400OR.

While Canon does sell some printservers, they are way too expensive so I ended up getting a Linksys WPS54GU2 hoping that the end-result would be "8500 quality with 4000R networking features". Needless to say that things turned out a bit differently...

The Linksys printserver works, sort of. I only use it "wired" (but these days you can only buy wired/wireless combo printservers) and setting up the unit & the printerdriver worked fine. Here the drawback of the WPS54GU2 vs the WPS54G becomes apparent : the GU2 has both a USB2 and a parallel port while the WPS54G only has the USB2 port. This implies that you have to use the Linksys printerdriver because printing to the LPR port based on IP address does not work (the unit does not know which port to use). With the WPS54G apparently you have the choice between using the Linksys driver or the standard LPR driver from windows.

So far so good, but when I start printing the Canon utility immediately starts nagging about the printer being off-line. Printing works, even CD printing, but all feedback from the printer is gone. So now I can print, but I no longer have any info on ink levels, out-of-paper, etc etc...

Anyone know a workaround for this ? Has anyone tried any of the new Pixma printers with a CANON printserver, and does the feedback work there ?

Any other network printing feedback is welcome.

Eric_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:01 AM   #2

Bump
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

:blah: It's not the Canon printer, nor is it a Canon issue. It's a typical issue that print servers always do this- they work as far as being able to print, but it's ONE-WAY communication, the print server will not feedback information to the user about ink levels and paper feeding. I worked for two different networking tech support call centers and this is typical. The canon printer IS reporting the ink levels and info about the paper feed, but the print server/router is dropping that information and not sending it back to the user. There is currently no way to send this back to the user. BTW, the Canon printers are intelligent enough with their ink monitors that they will stop when a cartridge needs replacing, NOT stopping in the middle of a print or photo, but in-between jobs, so no paper is wasted. Really, replacing inks is all that's needed to know.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I'd figured as much, but I was still hoping someone would have found a work-around...

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:36 PM   #5

I am using a linksys printserver as well now for my PIXMA and after talking with their tech support, they helped me create as "virtual" port for the printer and dedicate a static IP address through the router (using a linksys seperate wireless g print server connected to the router). This works great, still no communication back about the ink monitor and that Canon box about inks still comes up, but just minimize it.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:13 AM   #6

Yes, I have given up on the status monitor.

You can actually get rid of the status monitor screens by unchecking the "Enable bidirectional support" checkbox in the printer properties, ports tab.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:48 AM   #7

Eric_T wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'd figured as much, but I was still hoping someone would have found a work-around...

The only device I know of that does what you want it to, something I have "no" personal experence with

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

Basicly it's a network usb hub, not a print server. It's purpose in life isn't to take large print jobs and reduce system load, something which isn't needed on current generation PCs, but rather provide real time access to USB devices remotely. Unlike a print server it would depend on software support, i.e. drivers on the PC, so there is clearly a disadvantage to buying one. The the advantage is clear for users who wish to hookup let's say an all in one unit to a network and actually use it.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote